Swim bladder disease??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a plakat betta who has been showing signs of swim bladder disorder for over a month now, but is still eating and pooping like normal. He spends most of his time on the bottom of the aquarium or hiding behind a seiru stone and does not swim very often unless I am feeding him. He swims awkwardly with his head up and tail down. I also have Pygmy cories and a pair of honey gouramis in the aquarium and they are all acting fine. Water parameters are good. Could this be swim bladder related? I’m not sure of what to do. He has been this way for months and seems fine otherwise. I tried attaching a video but got the notification that it was not allowed.

Not sure of the diagnosis, but if it was swim bladder he'd already be dead after this long. It progresses pretty quick. And usually they flip upside down etc, and can't swim down toward the bottom. Maybe he's just a bad swimmer. My wife's betta looks like a 3 legged dog trying to cross a raging river when eating

My goldfish has been doing the exact same thing! She has been very quiet, lying still for weeks (after being a very active and friendly fish for the 6 months I've had her). Now she is swimming around but strangely. She swims with her head up and tail down. In addition she swims backwards (she swallows water excessively until she floats backwards almost as if she's skydiving out a plane backwards). She is also barely eating, and food used to be her sole joy in life. I thought she may be pregnant again as the last time she lay still for weeks she was making eggs, but this time her stomach isn't bloated and I'm not seeing eggs. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your baby?

Back
Top Bottom