Swim bladder problem in dwarf cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a group of corydoras habrosus - one of my favourite fish! Unfortunately one of the little guys appears to have developed a swim-bladder problem. He is eating and is otherwise healthy, but can't figure out which way is up. He spirals when trying to swim straight, and pretends he's an upside-down catfish when scooting along the substrate on his back.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Water parameters are all good, tank (a 28gal) is a couple of years old and no other fish are exhibiting problems.

Thanks!

First try feeding some small portions of frozen peas. Peel and nuke for a few seconds and see if he will eat them. It may be a constipation issue. You can also try adding some epsom salt to the water. Does he seem bloated as well?

it's hard to tell if he's bloated as he's so tiny - about 1.5cm. it's possible, though. i will put some peas in tonight and if that doesn't work, or he doesn't eat them, i will move to the hospital tank and treat with epsom salt. thanks.

the peas are gone today, so they got eaten by someone - and it's only cories, otos and sparkling gouramis in this tank, so it's likely little topsy-turvy got some. today he's unchanged. additionally, i have noticed another dwarf cory looks like he's got some sort of internal bleeding. he has a bloody colouration around his gut area. this is even more alarming than the swim bladder thing, so i've taken him out straight away - any suggestions on medication? on hand i've got melafix and a broad spectrum medication which malachite green.

i also did a water check just to make sure i don't have spikes anywhere, and everything looks great. ph is right on 7.0 (i don't moderate it, so who knows how that happened), ammonia/nitrite 0 and nitrate about 10. i don't get it!

A broad spectrum antibiotic would be a good idea, it may be a bacterial infection in the cory with the red area. Any chance of a pic of the red spot? I know fish are hard to photograph but if you could it would help.

too late, he died this morning :( the area that was red had gone an unhealthy yellow. i think he was sadly beyond saving. i hope the swim bladder guy makes it :/

Back
Top Bottom