Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Swim Bladder Treatment for Cherry Barb

I've got a 3 yr old male Cherry Barb that has been swimming vertically for about 2 weeks now. It's in a 55G, all chems are good, filter & 30% water change done. No other fish are affected. He looks fine physically. He hasn't been eating and tends to hide in a tall decoration.
No changes to the tank in quite a while other than water changes & filter cleaning.
I thought there was no treatment for swim bladder. Can someone please illuminated me on this & confirm my diagnosis?
Thanks

Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes, it is pretty tough.

But if might be upset intestines as well. Pooping ok?

And still not eating?

Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can't tell if he's pooping. I think it's probably clear fluid waste. He doesn't seem bloated. No, he's still not eating. It's just pathetic to see him working so hard to not sink.
So what is the treatment for swim bladder problem? I'd like to save him if possible.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali448 View Post
I can't tell if he's pooping. I think it's probably clear fluid waste. He doesn't seem bloated. No, he's still not eating. It's just pathetic to see him working so hard to not sink.
So what is the treatment for swim bladder problem? I'd like to save him if possible.
Thanks in advance

There's not many solutions I know of unfortunately. If you try searching on this for goldfish you may get more ideas.

You could try putting in a shallow container with just enough water to cover the fish well. This might take some water pressure off and also just a chance to recover in quiet.

Also you could try adding epsom salt to a QT. After that you could try table salt (NaCl) in QT (with a water change between). I'm not hopeful on these but the fish is in pretty bad trouble anyways.

No feeding at all except a small bit of pea.

Old fish I rarely see recover from this.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did isolate him into an in tank egg laying apparatus for several days. I tried to get him to eat some peeled frozen peas without success. I finally put him back into the big tank because I have a green Barb that normally stays in the teeny tank since he bites the Cory's and gold barbs constantly. The cherry's back is starting to bow up. Should I consider euthanized him?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You could try the ideas I mentioned in post above but unfortunately doesn't sound hopeful.

Tags
barb, cherry, cherry barb, eat, swim bladder, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com