Swimming at top of tank - Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-T-T

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me if it is normal for 'loner' here to be skimming the top of the water? He has been doing this all day. Swims around and than looks like he is eating the top of the water? Is this normal?

Attachments

• image-1837762469.jpg
    image-1837762469.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 152
If the water suddenly gets bad in my turtle tank my neon tetras start doing this. A 50% water change and add an airstone normally does the trick.

Hopefully a 50% water change will help. It sounds as if the fish is having trouble breathing. I would test the water for amonia, nitrite and Ph. Keep an eye on him to see if any redness forms around gills and that none of your other fish start acting the same way.

thebettafish100 said:
The wqter looks dirty

I recently put in a piece if wood for my pleco... It has tinted the water. I have been doing 25% pwc changing daily to try and keep it maintained until it cycles through.

Aquariumcouple said:
Hopefully a 50% water change will help. It sounds as if the fish is having trouble breathing. I would test the water for amonia, nitrite and Ph. Keep an eye on him to see if any redness forms around gills and that none of your other fish start acting the same way.

Will do the the 50% h20 change tonight. Already have a 8inch airstone running. Have 5 other neons and he also has a twin. No one else is acting weird?

Andyskoi said:
If the water suddenly gets bad in my turtle tank my neon tetras start doing this. A 50% water change and add an airstone normally does the trick.

Have the airstone running already. Don't see any unusual redness anywhere. Will try the 50% pwc

What kind of fish is he? The picture is a little blurry, so I am just asking instead of guessing. :) Honestly, if he is swimming around but skimming, thats not all that weird. If you are doing that as water changes, its unlikely the water quality. How long have you had the fish? Is it breathing heavily?
How big is the tank? Can you measure the water params? How long has everything been in it?
Yeah, driftwood does tint the water sometimes, but it won't hurt the fish. No worries. :)
I honestly highly doubt that this is about the fish getting enough o2. You average filter does a pretty good job at mixing the air into the water. And you said you have an airstone, so I am sure you are well oxygenated.

Looks to me like a female cherry barb
I would do a param check first

Loner died today. I went to the pwc yesterday and noticed Ich all over the fish. I brought them all home exactly last one week ago to the day. I wonder if loner already had it in his gills already when I bought him? Slowly, overnight upped the temp to 31 cel. Should I be worried about the other fish and how long should keep the temp up before I see a difference in the Ich on the fish?

Back
Top Bottom