Swimming head up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
1 I have an Australian Rainbowfish that is swimming with it's head up all the time. Sometimes on a steep angle, sometimes straight up and down. It is always swimming to stay in place (must be very tiring).
2 Ammonia, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 50, temp 78, ph 7
3 55 gallon tank, set up for years.
4 Aquaclear 70 filter and an undergravel filter.
5 Community tank with tetras, rainbows, corys, kribs
6 40% water change two days ago.
7 I've had the fish for 3 or 4 months. It has exhibited this behaviour periodically over that time, but now it is worse and it is doing it all the time.
8 I feed flake food, sinking pellets, and algae wafers. Frozen and live food occasionally.

Is this a swim bladder problem? Is he suffering? Is there anything I can do for him?

Thanks,
Greeny

It sound s like it could be swim bladder disease. This could be caused by a bacterial infection, constipation, genetics, trauma, etc. I would try quarantining this fish and treating it with an antibiotic such as tetracycline and feeding it deshelled peas as the previous poster suggested. You can also add a small amount of epsom salt to the water for constipation, how much would depend on the size of the qt tank..or do a bath in epsom salt.

Back
Top Bottom