Swollen Eyes!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spence22

Aquarium Advice Regular
My comet goldfish has swollen eyes. their not like poping out of his head so i dont think its pop eye, Ive seen what that looks like. His eyes are just swallon and a little puffy. Anybody ever heard/seen this before? What could this be a sign of?

How does your water look today? Unfortunately, any type of swollen eyes can be indicative of an internal infection. Med food (medi-gold) was be my first choice here for treatement.

How does your water look today? Unfortunately, any type of swollen eyes can be indicative of an internal infection. Med food (medi-gold) was be my first choice here for treatement.

ok thank you... Ive really been looking up on Med foods but Im having a very hard time finding any locally and as of right now i dont have a credit card.

I did find one med food that was for parasites. I almost bought it today but i was not sure if im dealing with parasites or not so i didnt want to harm my fish by giving him something that he doesnt need. I beleive the Med food was called JUNGLE ANTI PARASTIC FOOD. have you ever heard of it??

Yes, the jungle med food contains metronizadole which serves as both an antibiotic (gram positive) & an anti-parasitic. We will work with what you have on hand to try & get him healthy. I would give it a try since ordering meds online is not an option for you. A second option would be to do a combo of maracyn & maracyn2 as a water treatment. Keep us posted!

Jungle also makes an anti-bacteria med food thats available in most Petsmart stores (right next to the anti-parasite food).

Oh really I did not know that. My Petsmart store does not carry that and they only had one of the Jungle anti-parasite food left but I didnt buy it but I think im going to stop by their tommorow and buy it, unless I shouldnt since I just bought some Maraycn 1 a few days ago. I have not used it yet because for the past 4 days my aquarium has had bubbles floating on the surface. The bubbles look very similar to the melafix bubbles but I cant imagine that it could be. Ive done a 25% water change and a 50% water change in the past 4 days and the bubbles are still their, not as bad though. I added a brand new pouch of carbon for my fluval 205 canister filter and I added a new filter cartridge to my Pengiun 150 biowheel which has carbon in it. I didnt think it would be wise to start the Maracyn 1 when theirs bubbles of some kind in my water so i been waiting to see if the carbon will help. I aslo bought some API/RENA Bio-Chem Zorb today to see if that would help with my bubble problem but its design to fit the Rena filter xp filters which I used to use but switched to fluval. Im thinking about cutting the Chem-Zorb pouch and then putting the resin in a universal filter media bag that will fit my fluval 205 perfect. Do you think this would be wise or even helpful? Ive used this stuff in the past when I had my Rena xp2 hooked up to my existing aquarium and i had great results from it. Ive never had bubbles in my water EVER so im not sure how to go about fixing this problem. Lets say I do fix the bubble problem, would you suggest to start the Maracyn 1 or would you suggest buying the Jungle anti-parasatic food?

Give the bio-chem sorb stuff a try in your media bag for 24hrs to see if it helps with the bubble issue. Im honestly not quite sure what is causing them. You will need to remove any carbon/chem-sorb before trying another course of meds. I would give the maracyn1 a try for a course of treatment & pick up some of the jungle meds in the meantime. If there is no improvement after the maracyn1, you will need to do a big water change & run carbon/chem-sorb again to remove any traces of the maracyn1 before attempting the jungle meds. We will figure something out that hopefully will work for your fish! Keep us posted!

72 is fine for goldfish. How is your water looking today?

Well i just got home from my class about an hour ago and my godie seemed pretty good. He was hubbering at the bottom of the aquarium for a little bit but once I cam near the aquarium he started swimming around, so i feed him a few pellets. He has continued to swim around ever since. Im getting ready to do a water parameter test and see what the water quality looks like.
I want to put the bio-chem zorb in but honestly im kinda afraid to cut the pouch open and put it into my universal filter pouch. Ive heard of Rena carbon and other resins turning peoples water black. What are your thoughts? I think ill be ok but Im stand offish, dont want to cause a disaster! The bio-chem wont fit in my fluval 205 if i was to keep it in its original pouch. ill post what the water parameters are here soon.

I have no personal experience with the chem-sorb so i am not going to be of much help here! Water changes may just be the better route to take. Are the bubbles settling down or still bad?

I have no personal experience with the chem-sorb so i am not going to be of much help here! Water changes may just be the better route to take. Are the bubbles settling down or still bad?

I ended up using the Bio-chem zorb in its original pouch, all i had to do was fold it in half. It fit perfectly in my fluval 205 media tray that way so I didnt have to cut the pouch open and transfer it to a different pouch.

Now with the bubble problem! I think I know whats causing this issue. Last night after adding the bio-chem zorb I had to add a gallon of water to my aquarium because my fluval 205 canister filter holds a gallon, so i had to replace the gallon that I took out of it when doing maintance. When I was in the process of adding some dechlorniated tap water that I had made up 2 days ago I noticed that the bubbles were immediately getting worse as I was adding it to my tank. I looked down in my bucket and I noticed a couple of the same bubbles. The bubbles HAVE to be from the aquean dechlorinator! thats the only chemical thats ever been in my buckets. I keep lids on my buckets also, so nothing could have gotten in the buckets. I must have added to much dechlorinator to the tap water in my 5 gallon buckets.

WATER PARAMETERS: using API master kit
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:5 ppm
PH: did not test, but going to do it today
Temp: 71 F.

QUESTIONS: How should I go about this issue? I was thinking about buying some distilled water to add to my aquarium instead of my dechlorinated tap water, do you think this would be wise and helpful? I really dont want to mess my water parameters up because their near perfect and my goldie appears to be very happy today.He's been swimming all day and does not seem very stressed compared to the last few weeks.

Do not add distilled water- you will be opening a can of worms that will be difficult to contain! My suggestion would be a simple one- switch your dechlorinator! I have noticed bubbles before when using Nova Aqua Plus water conditioner so your conditioner very well may be the issue! Im glad he is doing better today!!

Do not add distilled water- you will be opening a can of worms that will be difficult to contain! My suggestion would be a simple one- switch your dechlorinator! I have noticed bubbles before when using Nova Aqua Plus water conditioner so your conditioner very well may be the issue! Im glad he is doing better today!!

OK thank you for your advice and help... I did not buy the distilled water(expensive for water)!! I have some old Tetra Aqua Safe but I stopped using it because my petsmart associate told me that she is not very satisfied with it. She said that the chemical properties of Tetra Aqua Safe is mostly water based or something like that. What type of Dechorinator would you highly recommend?? Is Nutrafin aqua safe and good?\

Prime is the posters choice for this forum! A little of this stuff goes a long way when compared to other water conditioners. I dont personally care for Tetra products in general (this is just my opinion) & i am not familiar with the Nutrafin products. But i do recall reading a thread before with someone having bubble/foam issues with Nutrafin products. I have used Amquel Plus before but you need to use alot of this product when compared to Prime (prime is a single cap, amquel plus needs 5 caps). Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom