Swordtail acting funny help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 20 gallon tank with filter and heater up about a week and a half ago. 3 days ago I added 2 fancy guppies a swordtail and a snail. I've been measuring my water parameters yesterday they looked like this.
Ph 8
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite NO2- 0ppm
Nitrite NO3- 0ppm
Lately my swordtail has been acting funny, he keeps making jittery movements off the pebbles I'm using as substrate as well as the walls and other decor. He has a little white spot on the top of his head its doesn't look like sand dusted all over him but rather this white furry spot? Could it be ich if so what should I do. Could fancys tolerate a little salt and heat treatment? He has also been swimming right by the filter but staying close and not moving much almost as if he is getting sucked in by it. I know this cant be the case cause the fancys have no problem with this and usually my swordtail is all over the place. Any info would be helpful just wanna make sure this little guy is healthy! Thank you!

Hi, It sure sounds like ich if he is rubbing and scratching. quinine hydrochloride at 30 mg per liter will take care of it. Raise the tank temp to about 85 deg F for about 2 weeks after you add the meds. Ich gets killed in its free swimming phase. Higher temps speed up the ich life cycle. Fungal infections usually follow another sickness so IMO its ich. Go to the pet shop and get some meds as soon as you can. Malachite green is another popular ich treatment. There are some treatments that use copper. it takes ich 4 weeks to cycle at 72 deg and about 7 days at 80 deg. Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom