swordtail lost his... sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxshaggyxX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My male swordtail lost his sword! Came home from Work one night to sit down in front of my tank and relax with some fish watching and noticed his sword was broken and dangling just before where it meets the actual tail fin and by the next morning it had fallen off, this happened about 1 week ago. He seemed very reclusive for a day or two after it happened but now he's fine, swimming around and hanging out with all the other fish again. Will his sword grow back eventually or is this poor Guy scarred for life?

Mine too

My male swordtail too i just found out now, well is now broken and hanging, not completely broken yet, he still swims fine, but most of the time i find him close to the ground, is he going to be ok? will he die? :( i hope someone can answer both of us.

A damaged fin is not a death sentence. Fish can usually regenerate damaged fins easily. Keep the water really clean to avoid infection and it should grow back fine.

Ok thank you that's great news! hopefully it'll grow back, he's still a chill looking fish but he looked mean with that sword

Thank you for the reply i just change the water yesterday, and have other fish with him as well, so will he still be fine? should i separate him from the others? tomorrow i am getting one panda Cory since on Monday one of them died. I read you cannot leave a panda Cory alone is that true? :huh:

A damaged fin is not a death sentence. Fish can usually regenerate damaged fins easily. Keep the water really clean to avoid infection and it should grow back fine.

XxshaggyxX said:
Ok thank you that's great news! hopefully it'll grow back, he's still a chill looking fish but he looked mean with that sword

No problem :)
Aniistarr said:
Thank you for the reply i just change the water yesterday, and have other fish with him as well, so will he still be fine? should i separate him from the others? tomorrow i am getting one panda Cory since on Monday one of them died. I read you cannot leave a panda Cory alone is that true? :huh:

He should be. Just leave him in his tank. Less stressful than moving him. Cories do much better in groups. Especially pandas because they are quite shy.

Thanks, i will check on him tomorrow to see how he is doing and get another panda Cory asap :)

My bf came today and he saw the swordtail not only did he lost his sword, but the fins are damage and i look closely and it is, i think my 3 blood fin did it so i separate him and put the swordtail male alone in another tank and thinking to get medicine for him any suggestion on how to handle it? :(

i know this is a very small tank, but is the only one i have for now and i am thinking to get Melafix for him, he seems to be fine and eating so i guess he will be ok :fish2:

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 192
Your little guy has more of the sword left, my has fella just enough left to give me hope that it might grow back lol

Yes, at least, but the fins are pretty bad. I am going to buy Melafix now, and i will see how it goes from there.

Attach another picture with a more close look, upper part fin little bit of damage and also by the tail and the body look like orange pale compare to the female one :huh:

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 225
Here's my dude

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120617_102504.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_102504.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
I have no clue lol none of the other fish mess with him, i'm figuring prolly just a freak accident or something

Back
Top Bottom