Swordtail tail Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've got a small female red swordtail in my 25gl. The other day I noticed she had a deep, thin slice missing of her tail about 5/8s of the way up from the bottom. I can't say for sure if the fin is completely gone or that part has just gone colourless. The rest of the fins are fine on her and the tank mates.
Is this just normal? Or do I have an illness on my hands?

Thanks
spenny

So I've got a small female red swordtail in my 25gl. The other day I noticed she had a deep, thin slice missing of her tail about 5/8s of the way up from the bottom. I can't say for sure if the fin is completely gone or that part has just gone colourless. The rest of the fins are fine on her and the tank mates.
Is this just normal? Or do I have an illness on my hands?

Thanks
spenny

Hello s...

"Fin nipping" is common in a community tank. Check on your tank frequently to see if one or some of the other fish are bullying your swordtail. If so, she should be removed and put into another tank. If not, the female's tail will be open to infection and possible disease.

In the mean time, I would start adding a little standard aquarium salt to your replacement water, a little more than a teaspoon per 5 gallons is enough and start feeding a little minced garlic to your fish. The salt will help heal the wound and maintain a healthy fish immune system. The garlic is a natural antibotic and a good source of vitamins.

Just a thought to consider or not.

B

Back
Top Bottom