Swordtail with ich (I think)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warthog76za

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female swordtail has me worried, noticed this afternoon she has this white specs on her tail area. What I have done so far is upped the heater to 29°C and before that made a 50% water change. I have heard of solutions for the treatment of ich but I find it risky since it is then salt based and I have 3 assassin snails and corys (which Ive read also react to salty conditions) as well. What I did do was use a sterile cloth dipped in a salt solution and wiped the tail of the affected swordtail.

Any other advice from members would be appreciated!

Try Kordon Ich Attack to treat the tank, if it is available in Germany. Avoid meds that contain copper or malachite to the tank, which are toxic to inverts and not that great for your fish either.

You will also need to raise the temp to 30c. At 29c, you will only be increasing the lifecycle of the ich parasite. AT 30, it will begin to kill the nasty critters.

I have found that corys can handle the salt to cure ich. I too was reluctant to use it on corys.

Here is a good link to learn more.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/29/1/Freshwater-Ich-Yuck-/Page1.html

Good luck.

Just got an anti bacterial product that I was told is also safe for my snails and shrimp.

:( saw that my sick swordtail was dead this morning, am gutted since I was doing my best to doctor her better. Only thing that made me at ease, I found her this morning in her favourite hideout.

For me I guess something was wrong way earlier...since she just didnt develop as fast as the male and female swordtails that I still have who have grown a lot in 4+ weeks, like I told my wife, its like those two run the tank, superior hunters, know when to turn on the aggression. Will see next weekend to get a replacement, else the remaining swordtail will be harassed the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom