Synodontis catfish, floor impact, flopping after jump...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was netting one of my Synodontis cats to separate them (plenty of hiding places, so tried them together, but this 8-inch one was getting picked on too much).

I netted him, lifted him out of the water and before I could put him into the bucket for transport to the other room he managed to jump out of the NET! He hit the top-side of the tank and unfortunately rather than just dropping back into it, he fell about 5 feet onto the hard floor. He then flopped his way under the tank, covered himself in dust and cat (mammal, not fish) fur and was under there until I had tried to grab him with the net before giving up and using my hand... I ran straight through to the other room and dropped him straight into his new tank (which is stable with the same temp, pH, etc).

He breathed rapidly and didn't move for a while. Bits of fur were dropping off him as he sat there ontop of the plants, he's just now moved a bit further down into the plants, all I can see is his tail. I see him still breathing rapidly and his tail is torn to shreds, I assume this is from injury on the floor and wood of the tank stand., as well as from the fact he was being picked on.

What are his chances? I know Syn Cats are half bone so it is possible he was protected? Should I put him out of his misery if he's got a fractured skull or something? That was a big drop... And he spent a lot longer than I'd normally leave a fish without water.

Hope I can get some replies ASAP if anyone has experienced a big fish drop like this... Right now I have to go and wash the blood off my hands from his fins sticking me... Sigh.

He's swimming, all the fins are still upright/out and not clamped, which is good... When I came back from the bathroom though he immediately started to panic, so he definitely blames me for what happened... :)

Apart from torn fins he looks really good... Really hoping there isn't anything internal... Glad these fish are bony (well, my hand isn't)...

I'm sorry for your experience. All I would do is to observe him carefully over the next few days. If he's been injured, it will show.

They do advise not to net the synodontis because of the possibility of fin damage but rather to use a plastic container to remove them from the tank.

You might want to soak some algae wafer in Garlic Guard. Feed him that to help build up his immune system.

Yeah I feel like I totally screwed up with the net. Every other time I have transported a Syn cat I picked up their cave and actually transported them inside it. Didn't think it through today.

I'm pretty amazed but he honestly looks in good shape. He's actively swimming around... Breathing seems much more relaxed.

I actually think I'm in worse shape than he is (unless he has internal injuries). I don't know if I might need stitches or not...

Just wanted to reply and say that he seems 100%! Very relieved.

He's happily swimming around when the lights go out, occasionally when they are lit, too. Acting just as I'd expect. :)

Fish are very string whennit come to falls, so are lizards. I once had a large neon tetra probably fall 5 feet, and he was fine just shaken up. Also once i had a ghost shrimp in a net and i didnt put my hand over the top. It jumped, but luckily straight in the tank from like 3 feet!!! Hahah it had hops

glad to hear that he's doing o.k. I've dropped quite a few fish and some bounce back better than others, I think it has to do with how they land. Either way glad it worke dout all right.

Back
Top Bottom