T.C. Packets treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serena00

Aquarium Advice Freak
So you may have seen my previous post... But if not, I have gourami with fin rot. In a 36g tank...
3 dwarf gourami, rainbow shark, 6 tiger/green barb, 3 rosy barb, rubbernose pleco and a little snail.

(I was not aware of how big rosy barbs would get when I purchased)
At this time everybody is juvenile size. Except gouramis are already about 2 inches.

Anyways to the point... I'm currently treating with the T.C. Packets and curious if anybody has experience with it. Can't find much info on it. It turned my tank yellowish so I'm a little nervous honestly.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Hi! Can you provide some more information on the product? Brand name? Active ingredients?

My guess is the product your using contains tetracycline as tetra will turn water yellow/brown. Important to note that it's a largely gram positive antibiotic while fish bacterial infections are generally gram negative. It's very important with tetra that the product your using has NOT expired as tetra becomes highly toxic after its expiration date (unlike most other antibiotics that just lose efficacy). Tank ph/kh/gh is also vital- tetra does not work in hard, alkaline water.

With some more information on the product your using, we can better help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi! Can you provide some more information on the product? Brand name? Active ingredients?

My guess is the product your using contains tetracycline as tetra will turn water yellow/brown. Important to note that it's a largely gram positive antibiotic while fish bacterial infections are generally gram negative. It's very important with tetra that the product your using has NOT expired as tetra becomes highly toxic after its expiration date (unlike most other antibiotics that just lose efficacy). Tank ph/kh/gh is also vital- tetra does not work in hard, alkaline water.

With some more information on the product your using, we can better help!

Hi, would you have any information on tetracycline treating mainly gram positive bacteria? I've spent last weekend trying to find anything with no luck. I was just trying to find a research paper or something but came up with nothing.

Next I tried finding a list of which bacteria it is effective for as I thought I could cross-reference that to a freshwater bacteria list I have for bacteria common to aquariums. Again no real luck :( Most of the papers were all about how tetracycline has declined in effectiveness.

I don't disagree with the article by aquarium products as everything else I found matched but it was annoying not to find anything to confirm. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html

Tetracycline/oxytetracycline are broad spectrum to a degree but are generally more gram positive than negative. Examples of gram positive infections in fish are staph, strep and myco. Myco, however, is in its own little class and does not fit classic gram positive definition nor does it respond well to any antibiotics.

Occasionally, there are some specific (nontypical) infections that are gram positive such as a kidney infection. Keeping all of this in mind, I would opt for a different choice in meds to address these issues. Erythromycin would be a better choice and some of the newer broad spectrum antibiotics (enrofloxacin, amikacin or azactam) would be the best choices. Certain intestinal infections respond well to metro as it has specific gram positive capacity. Tetracycline, however, I personally would not use under any circumstance as it has been used and abused to the point of being ineffective. It also would not work under any of my water specs (hard, alkaline high ph water) anyway so it's not part of my medicine cabinet.

In respect to information on tetracyclines and their uses, I do not have any direct links unfortunately as I generally reference vet manuals and my goldfish book collections if I am looking for something that needs clarification. As tetra is a bit of an archaic med in the antibiotic world and has been proven to be ineffective due to drug resistance in many situations, it may be a bit harder to find more specific information to its use. Not sure if this information helps at all but feel free to ask more questions!

Okay thank you so much!!! That really helped out. :)

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Tetracycline/oxytetracycline are broad spectrum to a degree but are generally more gram positive than negative. Examples of gram positive infections in fish are staph, strep and myco. Myco, however, is in its own little class and does not fit classic gram positive definition nor does it respond well to any antibiotics.

Occasionally, there are some specific (nontypical) infections that are gram positive such as a kidney infection. Keeping all of this in mind, I would opt for a different choice in meds to address these issues. Erythromycin would be a better choice and some of the newer broad spectrum antibiotics (enrofloxacin, amikacin or azactam) would be the best choices. Certain intestinal infections respond well to metro as it has specific gram positive capacity. Tetracycline, however, I personally would not use under any circumstance as it has been used and abused to the point of being ineffective. It also would not work under any of my water specs (hard, alkaline high ph water) anyway so it's not part of my medicine cabinet.

In respect to information on tetracyclines and their uses, I do not have any direct links unfortunately as I generally reference vet manuals and my goldfish book collections if I am looking for something that needs clarification. As tetra is a bit of an archaic med in the antibiotic world and has been proven to be ineffective due to drug resistance in many situations, it may be a bit harder to find more specific information to its use. Not sure if this information helps at all but feel free to ask more questions!

Hi, thanks for the information (and thanks to the OP for putting up with the question!). I hear you on the abuse. I did 3 or 4 hours trying to find anything and it did look somewhat of a shame it was treated as a cure all, catch all wonder drug to solve animal husbandry issues in some areas.

I've asked my father to check his live-stock books but a little worried they will be out of date lol. Everything matched other links but sooo little information on it when I was expecting it to be covered to death.

It's always been a worry here to read on the label when buying tetracycline that it intended for the treatment of diseases from tetracycline sensitive bacteria. Which you kind of expect and not much in the way of details beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom