Tail Nipper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jshrimp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 12g tank with a glass shrimp, bamboo shrimp and two baby mollies. I will soon (in 1 month) be upgrading to a much larger tank but for now the mollies are under 2". I have had the mollies for two weeks, but when I came home today one was wedged between the heater and the aquarium wall. He wasn't moving, at first I thought he might be dead, but when I tapped the glass he slowly came out. In the open his swimming was very weak and he appeared to be having difficulty. When the other Molly saw him, he started chasing him and biting his fins! The first molly was quick to try and hid again but not before being chased around the tank. I had never seen the one be aggressive before, but not he won't stop pursuing the other!

I just don't know what to do! I am thinking it could be due to the tank being to small, perhaps I should have gotten more than two or maybe it's that they are both males. He has only been harassing the other Molly, not the shrimp. I have another tank with tetras in it that the victimized Molly would do well in (he is very gentle and slow moving) except it isn't quite finished cycling yet and I don't want to risk it. If anyone knows of a way to help it would be much appreciated!

The mean Molly needs to be moved out if you want to keep the other Molly ..........the tank is really to big .all those shrimp and fish only need like a 5 gal.

gavin00 said:
The mean Molly needs to be moved out if you want to keep the other Molly ..........the tank is really to big .all those shrimp and fish only need like a 5 gal.

Those mollies will need at least the 12 gallons when they grow, if not more room. Livebearers have fairly large bioloads for their size, Only nano fish or Bettas should really be kept in a 5 gallon long term. There's no such thing as a tank that is too big, only too small. Bigger is always better when it comes to tank size.

However I agree that they should be separated to let the one that is being picked on recover. Remember to keep up with water changes, clean water will help it heal.

@Jshrimp
I had the same problem with my guppies. I had three and they were all males, but one liked to pick on the other and he was generally bullied to death. I suggest putting the injured one in a different tank if you can and wait for him to get his strength back. The bullying may continue if you only have two, so you may want to purchase a few. There will be a less likely chance of fatal bullying if it's spread out instead of singled out.

Back
Top Bottom