Tail standing in glolight tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a glolight tetra that has been swimming oddly for about a day or two - he's swimming sort of tail down, and it looks like he's really struggling to stay afloat (he's beating his little fins pretty fast, and when he stops his tail end sinks). He looks fine when he's swimming fast and excited, but otherwise I'm worried. I've been tossing melafix in there since I noticed the trouble. Other than the swimming, he looks beautiful, with no marks or fraying of fins, and no hint of ick (we had ick sometime last year, but so far so good). My deets are below:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Glolight Tetra

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
ammonia and nitrites = 0, nitrates about 15; Temp unchanged at 77F, pH unsure
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10gal, 2+years
4~What type of filtration are you using? cheapo HOB filter with cartridge
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
4 glolights, one lonely neon...about an inch each
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I vaccuum once every 2-4 weeks, (depends) and remove about two gallons each time
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? 6 months or more (I introduced a crew of neons awhile back and a bunch of each died...so I'm not sure who's old and who's new, but none are younger than 7 months)
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Diet hasn't changed - they get tropical flakes, and frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms for a treat.

What I would try to see if it makes a difference is do a 50% pwc and make sure to add dechlorinator and see if that helps him any. Any idea how old the afflicted tetra is? I had a serpae tetra that swam like that for 7 months before he died. Other than the swimming he acted perfectly normal. Does your tetra eat and poo normally?

He eats...what's beep? I feel so bad for him - it makes me so sad because it looks like he can't "rest"...he's constantly struggling to stay "upright". Should I feed him peas? Could he have a gas bubble?
I just did a pretty substantial water change recently, and it didn't seem to help. Should I do another?

eta: Is beep = poop? If so, I've never seen any of them poop. It's jus tkilling me to watch him. :(

Sorry I didn't realize that was filtered out, didn't used to be, yes beep was poop without the P. If you did a larger water change within the last few days no, don't bother doing another. I would try giving him a frozen pea without the skin of course but honestly I don't think that will help. He sounds like my serpae did.

Oh...poor little guy. It's just breaking my heart. I gave them pepso food last night to give them a bit of a cleaning out. It obviously didn't help because he's still flailing. Well, thanks so much for your advice. As long as he's still eating, I guess. Thanks!

Found a couple threads on other boards by typing "tailstanding tetra" into Google - not a lot though. In one, people were suspecting a bacterial infection and in another, swim bladder problems - you might want to take a peek. One thread I saw suggested an internal bacterial infection. When I typed in the bacteria name, I found a lot of info suggesting it causes headstanding, but a reference to ANOTHER bacteria that causes "tail-walking" in tetras, so that might be another good term to peek at....

Please note that I have no personal experience with this whatsoever, just saw the other info online and was wondering if treating for a bacterial infection might help, or if it's at least something to look into further. I'm still setting up my first tank but you seemed so darn sweet and worried I started poking on the 'net...

Good luck! :)

jinmon-
Thanks so much - I was having a hard time finding stuff on the internet so I'm going to use your search tips.
I really appreciate it! Now that I've started with these tetras, I keep getting more to keep the other ones company, and it never ends.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom