Tailess Bristlenose!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmurray17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, only just joined and have only had my tank for a couple of months so sorry if anything is unclear as I'm new to the Aquaria hobby :) I have had my tank up and running ( after 8 week cycle) for 2 months now and everything has been a wonderful first experience up until yesterday! My poor bristle nose catfish was caught in one of the artificial plants and now has no left fins or tail fin! I have a 70L tank and have now removed all artificial plants and replaced with some thin veil (I think :S) went to the LFS and they said to add 2grams of rock salt which I have done but thought why not ask the real experts! Is he going to be okay ( he seems happy and back to normal albeit a tad wonky!) and will he grow his fins back even if the tail is completely gone? is there anything else I can do apart from water changes every 2 days and salt to avoid infection?
Incase this helps he is only about an inch in length and lives happily with 2 dwarf gourami 3 guppies and 10 neons :)

Thanks

Yes they are sensitive but 2g in 70L of water is nothing. Lots an lots of clean water should do the trick. If he develops a fuzz, growth or red streaks in his tail let us know ASAP. He will need medication if that happens.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes they are sensitive but 2g in 70L of water is nothing. Lots an lots of clean water should do the trick. If he develops a fuzz, growth or red streaks in his tail let us know ASAP. He will need medication if that happens.

Lol well I don't know metric measurements and I didn't really want to convert them so I just put it out there lol

Thank you! I will definitely be monitoring him like a hawk! He was my little pride and joy :) owh, forgot to mention he does have a small scratch down the middle of his head only a millimetre or so long and it doesn't look red or irritated but keeping an eye on that too! Will do lot of water changes and add the 2 grams of salt every second water change and hopefully he pulls through okay :) thank again for the help!

paytertot said:
Lol well I don't know metric measurements and I didn't really want to convert them so I just put it out there lol

I'm the same but opposite, I think 70L is just under 20G :S...maybe closer to 15G....

Back
Top Bottom