Tank disaster: help needed urgently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kittykat364

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is some background info:
Tank is 29 gallons, planted
Going to do tests now for ph, ammo, trites and trates
Tank has been planted since mid-December
Aqueon quiet flow 30, came with the tank, has been fine and cycling well
I do a water change every 2-3 weeks, the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all low before the change.

We added 3 new guppies almost a month ago. We only had one female to the male and she needed backup. We added two females her size and one that was smaller, one of the ones her size was biting everyone's tails so we exchanged her for another one. We added the exchanged guppy about a week or two ago, she has been fine but a little nippy in the beginning. She has calmed down though.
Haven't added anything new recently besides her. And if I had it has been quarantined for 2+ weeks.
We feed the fish a blend of micro pellets, seaweed, crushed up flakes (omega one and aqueon ones). My sister created it so she called it 'Cassie's blend'.

Stock:
3 male platies, one is a Mickey Mouse and the other two are red wag sized (one might have a problem)
2 female guppies (used to be 4 but 2 have died in the past few weeks)
1 male guppy (he has a problem)
1 balloon molly fry, she is pretty small but only gets picked on by the male guppy
1 male swordtail
2 cherry barbs--I don't know what to do with them, they stick to themselves most of the time, no signs of aggression whatsoever, used to have 3 but one died a long time ago

So, here's the story:

One guppy died a couple weeks ago, she was small and I think the male was harassing her too much. She was fine one morning and that evening we found her dead.
Male platy may have velvet, I am unsure. One of the female guppies was picking on him so I put him in the net and I turned the lights out, that is the only other treatment I see besides adding aquarium salt, which we already have and turning up the temp to 80ish which it is at. I put him in the quarantine net for a few days and left the lights out and it seemed to get better, and when I turned the lights back on and let him out for a few days it has gotten worse.
Yesterday morning we found a female guppy floating on the surface, dead of unknown reasons.
I turned the lights out this morning after feeding and everyone was fine, but I just turned them back on to check on them and the male guppy's tail is a complete wreck. I don't know why. I will post pictures of the guppy and platy as well.

Can anyone tell me how to help his tail heal, what might be going on with the male platy, and how there are so many deaths? Thanks. I don't want this tank to go down the drain (didn't mean that pun lol)

Male guppy in the net, he moves a lot story for the bad pic.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398799088.006101.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, the possible disease is on the top of his head, so the only way to get it was to open the lid and use the flash.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398799270.918907.jpg

And as always, please tell me if you need better pictures or more info, I am happy to answer questions for my fishies!

How much water are you changing with each water change? You probably need to be doing at least 10-20% a week. Also your ammonia and nitrites should be zero, not just low, if your tank has actually cycled. Raising the temp, adding the salt, etc., without knowing exactly what you are treating for is also not such a good idea, as raising the temp into the 80's greatly reduces the amount of oxygen availble to the fish. If your tank is still showing nitrite and ammonia, those also casue respiration problems and gill damage, so you would need to add some aeration to thank, such as an airstone.

Your best bet right now would be to change at least 50% or the water, lower your temp some and then try to figure out exactly what is going on in the tank, But I believe the water changes are critical, as all the problems may have intitiated from a non-cycled tank and not enough clean water.

How much water are you changing with each water change? You probably need to be doing at least 10-20% a week. Also your ammonia and nitrites should be zero, not just low, if your tank has actually cycled. Raising the temp, adding the salt, etc., without knowing exactly what you are treating for is also not such a good idea, as raising the temp into the 80's greatly reduces the amount of oxygen availble to the fish. If your tank is still showing nitrite and ammonia, those also casue respiration problems and gill damage, so you would need to add some aeration to thank, such as an airstone.

Your best bet right now would be to change at least 50% or the water, lower your temp some and then try to figure out exactly what is going on in the tank, But I believe the water changes are critical, as all the problems may have intitiated from a non-cycled tank and not enough clean water.

Sorry, meant the ammonia and nitrites are zero and the nitrates are low. I added the aquarium salt and raised the temp from a hydra outbreak, not for treating something I am unsure of. All of the hydra died off so I'm gonna lower the temp again. And my filter creates a big waterfall for some reason so I think it is getting aerated enough the fish swim everywhere and sometimes hang out near the bottom for a little while, no signs of breathing or gill problems. I'm gonna do a water change now.

Test results from right now (using API master test kit and GH and KH test kit)

pH: 7.8ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
GH: 125.3ppm (7 drops)
KH: 53.7ppm (3 drops)

They are in a separate tank for examination, except for the fish in the main tank with undisguised diseases, they just go in a net.

Describe the velvet.

Reduce the temp if poss or add aeration, this will buy you some time.
I'm thinking.

Maybe it's some form of parasite?
I assume obs only in quarantine, no medication?

My Guess

It could be bullying - I have seen this before with mollys and platies etc...

They could be dying purely due to stress. Is it possible the velvet you are describing is actually abrasions?

Last edited:
The velvet looks like small black clustered dots on the top of his head. It may be bullying, I will try to see if I can separate the guppies. I don't think it is abrasions as he doesn't ever touch anything with the top of his head. And yes, I didn't treat them with anything while in quarantine. They seemed perfectly healthy and so did the fish at the store.

Seperate the fish and treat him with fresh water salt.instructions are on the salt container. This will help heal the wound, help fight infection and help boost immune system. When introducing new fish to ur tank always quarentine them first cause looks can be deceiving and the fish can be caring an infection etc.

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Black spot.
Unlikely but,
One or more small dark spots present on skin and/or fins.
Typically well defined roughly circular, 1-2mm in diameter.

Diagenetic fluke, unlikely to occur in farmed fish. Fish kept outside, maybe yes.

Not infectious under normal aquarium conditions, no isolation. Not life threatening. No treatment available.

Complex multi host parasite, will die out.

Carriers, fish snails birds.
Snails on plants or new fish most likely if it's black spot.
No birds=no way for transmission.

Thank you! It does look like black spot, actually. We have many snails in the tank, so is this a possibility?

Could be it, look up black spot on the old web-a-roo.
Compare pictures, you would best be able to diagnose it, I'm thinking some more on similar looking bugs, if I find any I will post them.
(Don't think there are any though)

If it's black spot that's good news, sort of? I mean it should work out ok.
(y) (hopefully)

It kinda looks like that, but the dots are smaller and grayish. Is it still possible do you think?

Back
Top Bottom