tank has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nd90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed today that both my blood parrot and texas chcilid have what looks to be ich 2 weeks ago i added a green severum which looked to be very healthy so i dont know if he had it or is it just a fluke thing that happened i do 40% water changes weekley and all my readings are good . I have 5 fish in the tank so im guessing i need to treat the whole tank . Ive had ich before in another tank and used a chemical but it stained everthing in the tank so i would like to stay away from that . just spent alot of money on decor and drift wood in this tank . i have read that heat will kill it just by itself but am unsure if i should try it i dont want to loose any fish does anyone have any suggestions on this ?

i successfully treated ich recently. raise the temp of your tank to around 85, this willl slow the reproduction of the parasite and assist in killing them. There isnt a effective way to kill the parasite once they are attached to the fish, its best to kill them when they detach. I added some melifix to the tank to work on the ones that are swimming around. increase salt to create a salt bath, i used around 7tbsp for my ten gal. i know it seems excessive. do a water change at lease every day, for at least the first week. thats really ll you can do for ich. it may see like your not going anywhere, but ich take a while to kill. give it at least a week and a half be for you start seeing progress

should i add salt everyday to the tank ?

Higher temp and lots of water changes to vacuum out the ones that fall off onto substrate. Salt is optional.

I added salt when I first started my treatment to help things along, it is optional

sounds good i am going to start to raise my temp I have a jack dempsey,texas chiclid,one african chclid ,a blood parrot, and green sevrem can these fish take the higer water temp of 86 and above? what is the ideal temp to kill the ich at? also i just bought an aqueon water changer to do both of my tanks if i use it in the tank with ich how can i make sure when i use it in my other tank that it wont get infected?

I have been slowly rasing the temp up im my tank im almost at 86 but my fish seem to have gotten worse the ich is all over them and now a few of them have cloudy eyes and my sevrem is staying at the top of the tank i have 2 air stones running does anyone have any help for me? really dont want to start loosing fish.

That will happen. The higher temp speeds up the life cycle. Make sure to do a good vacuum when you do water change.

Sorry I should have specified, the Ich will look worse, as for the cloudy eyes I can't answer to that.

just did a water change and i think that maybe my african chilid has velvet he has a white film on him cloudy eyes and is breathing very hard not acting right at all my sevrem also has the breathing symptoms and the cloudy eyes both will not eat i think i am going to try to put each in a 10 gallon tank and try to use some meds on them is this a good idea?

What are your parameters? 86 should not be a concern. You might have something else as well as ick. Can you post a picture.

just got back home from the fish store with some meds and my african did not make it My sevrem isnt looking good should i put him in another tank and treat him or should i trat the whole tank ?

Back
Top Bottom