TB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20gal tank with 2 guppies, 1 rummy nose tetra (i have to get more the others died), and 4 neon tetras. I recently had a guppy that became sick and im assuming had TB because of its bent spine, lethargy, discoloration, loss of appetite, etc. I moved it to a hospital tank where it died. Recently, my neon tetras have been dying off and before they die their spines bend, they become lethargic and dont eat. this all happens in about a week, and before i can do anything they die. I started with 7, and now I have 4. Im assuming its tb, but the problem is Im not sure how to get rid of it. Apparently bleach doesn't kill it so I have to throw everything out, but I really cant get myself to do that. Is there anything I can do to stop the disease from spreading? This is making me extremely upset. Ive lost a lot of fish from this and I want to continue the hobby but I dont want to keep buying more fish just to watch them die.

Im pretty sure if you bleach everything well and re-cycle the tank you have 100% noting to worry about.
TB spreads from fish eating dead bodies, not just from the water.
Good bactertia out competes bad, so its not something you really have to worry about.
Provided you removed the dead bodies, maybe giving the tank a good cleaning and water change you should maybe be alright to add new fish even without taking it all down.
From now on, never buy a super skinny fish, and if you notice one guppy fish not eating, cull it.

A bent spine is a symptom of fish TB, but the disease itself isn't very common. Might research Neon Tetra disease maybe a more likely ailment. Once you notice a bent spine on a fish, IMO just get rid of it asap. Really no chance for recovery.

Back
Top Bottom