Terribly disappointed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well good news! My new Rainbowfish came in today!

Bad news...
1 was already dead
1 has swollen red lips and can't swim right.
1 couldn't swim and we put it out of its misery.
2 have fuzzy lips
1 is just fine so far.

I wasn't home when they arrived. My lovely younger brother acclimated them for an hour and put them in my tank. :( ugh. At least he did a nice acclimation.

Tank parameters:
pH 7.4
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

75g planted.
Weekly water changes

I have removed all the new fish except the healthy looking one. They were all bagged separately. They are in a 5g bucket with an airstone. I don't like it but I can't risk the rest of my tank stock (which includes a $60 ropefish) for some sick fish. Yes it's true, I don't have a QT tank laying around...

Any ideas on what to do? Was having a lovely day till this happened...... Might have to put the saltwater tank on halt.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Trust me this guy is going to get a lovely review on AquaBid!! My brother said their water looked horrible.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Can't really see the fuzz.... honestly though, with how fast the infection seems to be going, I really think it's columnaris.

They were only in the tank maybe an hour before I got home and removed them. Is that enough time to spread it to my other fish?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Here's some better pics.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429744274.775831.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429744285.308424.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429744319.642422.jpg

The fuzz is really hard to see without them in the light underwater.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429744344.979255.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Salt would be what I would try. Either baths or treat the tank.

I think salt would help if it were fungus as well.

Also, drop your water temperature, unlick ich where speeding up the lifecycle helps, you do NOT want to speed up columnaris.

Oh man! Sorry to hear. I would contact them and try and get a refund and definitely give a bad review if they don't fix the issue (and a medium review if they do)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Who was the seller? Do they have good feedback? I wonder if it wasn't something that just happened out of his control.

I'm so sorry about the fish and the disappointment, definitely try to get a refund. I think that you should just try and treat with salt and do some research. Wish I could help but I have no idea about sicknesses.

Update: 24 hours after I see no signs of illness. All fish looking healthy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429826731.162569.jpg

The one with the red lips, dead. Looks like the redness spread to the rest of the body.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom