Tetra bloated for weeks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
ph: 7
nitrate: 10ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
ammonia: 0 ppm
temp: 76 F

20 gal planted, 14 months old, Aqua Clear 50 filter, vacuum & 15-20% PWC once a week, see signature for stock...

I've had a Von Rio Tetra that's been bloated for many weeks, if not a couple months. I've had him in QT with melafix and pimafix treatment for almost 2 weeks and he basically looks the same, has a great appetite, and swims all around the tank normally and without restriction. He seems like a healthy fish, but looks like he's got dropsy.

About a week ago a fish with the same symptoms died. From the time it showed symptoms to when it died was a much quicker timeline. I'm wondering, is the surviving fish still sick? Was he ever sick? Can something like dropsy or other internal bacterial infection that causes bloating last a long time and not kill the fish?

I tried feeding him a pea to combat possibly constipations, but he didn't touch it. I'd like to return him to the main tank, but don't want to jump the gun.

Try peas again but smush or cut them into very small pieces. He may just not be used to seeing it. Maybe if he sees other fish eating it, he will too.

Sorry, somehow I missed your post before. First, have you seen your tetra poo? If so is it food colored? White and stringy? Scales sticking out from the body at all? I would continue on with the peas and while he is in QT, I'd add 1/8 tsp epsom salt to 1 gal and see if that draws any of the bloating out of him. Of course if at all possible a pic would be good. But we all know that fish aren't always cooperative in that area.

Back
Top Bottom