tetra fish spasms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

googlina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my tetra fish (it is red, don't remember exact type) has been going into spasms. A day ago my silver dollar fish and another small fish (again don't remember the type) died. They did not spasm prior to this. I figure the deaths and the tetra spasms are related. I would like to know what could be causing my fish to spasm.

Welcome to AA! How long has your tank been set up? Do you have your test levels available? What size is your tank? What other fish do you have?

Welcome to AA! I agree with Rich about the information he has requested. In addition is there any other physical signs the tetra is showing? Gills moving rapidly, hanging at the surface or the bottom of the tank?

Thank you for the responses. The tetra is hanging around the bottom of the tank. Can't tell about the gillls. She has white spots on her. The tank is a ten gallon hexagon and it was set up for a week before the fish were put in. THe fish have been in it for two weeks now. The PH is 7.2. There are two other fish in the tank: a gromi and an algae eater. Thanks.

Thank you for the information. I willl buy the medication tomorrow. THanks again for all the advice

Ick is nasty. It can block the gills from getting oxygen, and it irritates the fish's skin, so they will bounch off rocks, ornaments, etc. This is known as flashing. Sometimes the fish will stay at the surface where the filter runoff is, or to gasp for some air as they are suffocating.

Fish can live with ick in their tanks, but as soon as their immune gets weak enough, the disease will strike. The best way I have found to deal with ick is to prevent the fish from being stressed out any way you can. For instance, I found that when I was doing water changes, I was using straight cold water. The sudden temperature change stressed the fish out, and when they get stressed their immune gets weak. So I use luke warm water instead. I don't know if your case is the water changes in particular, but something you might be doing could be stressing your fish out. It could be the fact that they are new in their home as well.

You could try some medication like Ick Gaurd (or whatever ick controle you can get) to help keep the ick at bay until the fish get used to their surroundings.

You could also try the salt and high temperature treatment, but it's not recommended with yout Tetras. Tetras do not like both salt and high temperature.

i wouldnt use ANY ich medication...they kill more fish than ich...im currently treating ich myself with the heat only method and its going away...i have 7 neon tetras in the tank and they are just fine....just make sure you raise the temperature SLOWLY...about 1F every 10-12 hours....keep the temp at 86 for 2 weeks AFTER the last spot is gone...id also lower the water level a little bit since high temperatures make oxygen less available in the water for your fish....a test kit for your water is a MUST....since your tank is new its probably in the cycling stage...and i bet that is why your fish are stressed...anyway...i hope that helps.... :D

I use that testing kit that was linked too. It's easy, and is good for a lot of tests. Very recommended.

You don't need to buy medication to treat ich! Raising the temperature to 86F and keeping it there for two weeks after you see the last spot will do it all.

But your other fish might have died because of toxic levels of nitrite or ammonia in your water. A tank needs to build up enough good bacteria first, that detoxify the fishwaste, food leftovers from ammonia over nitrite to the nontoxic nitrate. You need to get those levels tested and check them frequetly until ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

Altogether, monitor your levels, make a big water change (about 50%), and raise the temperature. Since you didn't cycle your tank you will need to make frequent water changes everyday now, until ammonia and nitrite is zero. If you don't I can most certainly guarantee that all your fishes will die.

Its a common misconseption that ich is always in the tank even when the tank has been treated but please let me tell you...

its NOT once it has been completely irraticated it can not come back unless its reintodused..

as others have said.. heat alone can and will kill it.. :p

please read the artical on the nitrogen cycle.. that would be the other problem..
I would do large frequent water changes untill I could test the water to see what bad nutrent levels are present.. 50% daily.. but anything is better then nothing.. so please to a pwc every day untill you can get your water tested.. it will help alot.. :p

Back
Top Bottom