Tetras sick need ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,
Some of you may have read my posts about starting up my 35 hex. I'm running into problems so I'm hopping over here.
11/25: added my seeded media to the filter, put in nine black neon tetras.
11/26: one died overnight, no visible issues, water tested fine
11/27: fine
11/28: went back and got five more tetras and the last hatchet they had, same store, same group of fish
11/29: one tetra died overnight
11/30: two fish not with the others, no other symptoms. Four tetras died overnight. Water still testing fine
12/1: two tetras died overnight. One is separated from the group. This is the first day of visible symptoms. The fish are developing ich (3 spots or so per fish) but there is something else going on as well. The one straggler has visible discoloration, trouble breathing, and spine is a little curved. I'm thinking either neon tetra disease or something bacterial.
I cranked the heat to 77, threw in some salt, and started the ick guard treatment, but the only other meds I have on hand is methylene blue. Please help me ID so I can go pick up something. I would hate to lose all these fish. Thanks!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417459248.086686.jpg
You can see the whitish discoloration in the pic. He's also a tiny bit bloated when viewed from the front
35g 7ph 0 am 0 nitrite 15 ppm nitrate temp was 74 now 77

Separated guy is on the bottom now not looking good. Also forgot the mention the hatchet is fine and has no white spots

Well the one bad looking guy died yesterday but all of the others are looking better today, less white spots no discoloration and all together and active. I'll keep monitoring

Maybe do some large water changes every day or two. That could help fight the disease. Rise your heater to 76 degrees to combat ich.

Sent from my Clubhouse with Donald Duck

Ok temp will go up, no visible symptoms on surviving fish except ich spots which are diminishing today. I didn't want to raise the temp too much initially.
I drip acclimate over about an hour but I've never tested the store water. Will do next time just to see.

Alright I treated with the ich meds and the next day did a 25% WC and treated again per the instructions. I do not see any spots on the fish today and they're all alive.
Since I've never dealt with ich before and I'm not familiar with the life cycle, should I treat one more time to be safe? Also, how long after illnesses is it safe to add new fish?

Well either these fish were seriously immunocompromised or I suck at fish keeping. One of the tetras now has Popeye. Unilateral so I'm guessing an injury? Water parameters are still good and I've done 25% WC the last three days in a row for the ich meds. Sigh.

Just an update: all the remaining guys made it through just fine. I finished the ich treatment, spots went away, everyone is back to flitting around and eating like nothing happened. No other symptoms from any fish besides what I previously mentioned-one that looked like NTD, one that had Popeye, mystery deaths, and the ones with ich survived. Went back to the LFS to talk to the one guy I trust there about what was going on and all of the tetras were gone the next day. Like forty of them. Except for one dead one stuck to the filter. I doubt they were purchased. Sigh big box. I'm not sure about the NTD though because I thought it was super contagious. So maybe bacterial?
Fish illness is something I really don't have much experience with and then I panic. I'm wary of treating without 100% certainty of what's going on because I just don't want to over stress or add more variables in the mix. It also seems like it's never straightforward. The ich was obvious, so I treated and it worked, but vague symptoms drive me insane.
Anyway, is two weeks post symptoms ok to add more fish? I have a quarantine tank for the ones I'm picking up next week...just curious what people think about time to let things settle and what's standard practice.

Back
Top Bottom