The Fish Tank of doom....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crusis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I'm posting for the sake of the poor fish I've sent to their maker.

I have a 75 gallon planted tank. I have a cat litter base, covered by a layer of play sand, and in some places, that is covered with river rock. I have several swords, a java fern, anacharis, cabomba, a leafy plant with red leaves (don't know the name offhand), and another plant that doesn't put down roots with stiff spiky leaves that I think is called hornwort, or something like that.

My plants are all VERY healthy, green, and exceedingly happy as far as I can tell. I have 130 watts of light (1/2 of my orbit light fixture), and all seems to be working well plant wise. I don't yet have C02 injection, but am working on getting that set up. I have the tank being shipped, and the regulator and diffusor are here.

It's the fish that have me stumped.

I bought the tank, put in the litter and sand, set up the filter (Emperor 400) and let it sit for a month. I then planted it, set up the light, and let it sit for two or three weeks. After that, I got fish. And the parade of death began. My Ph is high, about 8.2, but every other test I have done seems to be in the normal range.

I still have some of the first fish I put into the tank. I have 2 out of 5 Silver Mollies. I have 2 of 2 Cory cats. I have 5 of 12 danios. I have 4 of 5 giant danios. I have 3 of 4 Chinese algae eaters.

So with those deaths in mind, I let the tank set for two weeks, feeding the holocaust survivors, and waiting for the hand of death to come for the remainder. The remaining fish are healthy, active, show no signs of stress, have clean scales (no ich), eat well, and generally move about the tank as if they are happy. The male mollie relentlessly chases the female, who appears to be bearing youngsters.

So I bought more fish.

10 of 10 cherry barbs died.
6 of 6 black stripe tetras died.

Ok, I waited a few weeks, and thought I'd try again. Different species.

2 of 2 pink gouramis died
1 of 1 midnight gouramis died.
1 upside down catfish died.

I'm stumped, and even worse, I'm reluctant to buy new fish as I feel bad sentencing them to the gulag. I have a 5 gallon tank, same water, with 4 guppies that are doing fine.

I raised fish when I was a kid, from 8 to 18, and honestly I thought you had to shoot a gourami to kill it. But my tank is killing them.

If anyone knows anything, I'd love to hear it. My remaining fish are happy as can be, but I'd like a few fish with color. I know the Ph is high, but I thought Mollies liked high Ph and they suffered 60% casualties.

Any ideas at all. Anything to test for, anything to add to the tank, any music to play, any rhythmic dances to perform, etc.

Do your part to stop the slaughter. :)

Oh, and as for acclimation, I let the fish sit in the aquarium in the pet shop bags for about an hour, then I release them into the tank. All my fish are pretty small right now, and shouldn't be too much for a 75 gallon tank, I'd think.

HHHMMM; that is strange have you tryed black widow tetras? They are suppose to be very robust i also have a very high PH balance of 8.0 srry cant ofer much more information.

Was the cat litter substrate base contain any chemical additives or fragrances? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

No, it was 100% pure clay from the pet store. I talked to the pet store about it, and they recommended it to me as chemical free. I thought that too, but that isn't the problem.

If I do buy new fish without solving this issue, I will be buying them one at a time until I get to a species that will survive the Tank of Doom. But right now, I'm not so sure I won't just let the tank sit as is for a while, possibly a few months.

Oh, and as for acclimation, I let the fish sit in the aquarium in the pet shop bags for about an hour, then I release them into the tank. All my fish are pretty small right now, and shouldn't be too much for a 75 gallon tank, I'd think.
You may need to go with a drip acclimation if the pH is different from the LFS. Ask the LFS what the pH in their tanks is. Please post the exact numbers for the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate tests. What temp is the tank at?

Crusis said:

You should rinse the outside of the bag a little, but not with water too hot or too cold for the fish, before floating the bag. Also, an hour is pretty long for them to be like that.
What I do when I get new fish is rinse the outside of the bag a little, float the bag in the aquarium, open it at the top right away and put a drop or two of Ammonia Chloramine Eliminator, let it sit for about a minute and put a few tsp's of the water from the aquarium into the bag, let it sit for a few more mins and add a little more of the aquarium water, let it sit for maybe 10 mins, and finally net the fish out (don't let any of the bag water go into the aquarium).

You may need to go with a drip acclimation if the pH is different from the LFS. Ask the LFS what the pH in their tanks is. Please post the exact numbers for the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate tests. What temp is the tank at?[/quote]

Wow, never thought of that. Ph shock? Hmmm. I will talk to the LFS about that. Great input there! The tank is at 74 degrees. I have a 300 watt heater, and it reliably keeps it at that temperature.

Rok, I think your method will basically achieve that if the Ph is radically different. I'll use that.

Thanks, gang! Great ideas.

I've been wanting to start a second 75 gallon rock tank with Rift Lake Cichlids (I used to have a 135 gallon tall of them) but I don't want to start another until THIS tank of community fish is right.

Will CO2 injection have any effect on Ph, or at least any noticeable effect?

Crusis, how fast are your fish dying after you put them in there? I mean, do you put them in, and then the next morning 12 out of 12 cherry barbs are dead? Or do they last a week, two weeks, three weeks? Did any of these fish show signs of stress before dying--labored breathing, stopped eating, swimming funny, uncharacteristic behavior (top-dwelling fish sitting on the gravel, bottom-dwelling fish hanging near the surface of the water, etc.)? Did any of the dead fish show even the smallest evidence of disease?

Also, please post exact numbers for your water specs.

We'll get to the bottom of this! 8)

I'm just a novice here, but:

I bought the tank, put in the litter and sand, set up the filter (Emperor 400) and let it sit for a month. I then planted it, set up the light, and let it sit for two or three weeks. After that, I got fish. And the parade of death began. My Ph is high, about 8.2, but every other test I have done seems to be in the normal range.

That sounds like it's a fresh tank and perhaps the tank is cycling. I would suggest as others have said, get your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH settings every couple days for a week and see if things are changing.

Also, are you doing partial water changes? If so, how are you replacing the water? I had a couple sad incidents where using my python did not eliminate enough of the chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom