The Great Neon Massacre...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
On Tuesday I purchased 7 Neon Tetras, 2 Otocinclus Cats, a Rubber lipped Pleco -about 1.5"- and 2 tiny wee Angels. These were all placed in a ten gallon quarantine tank...When I went to check on them today I found two headless Neon carcases, and one poor little blighter still alive stuck in the filter intake...his tail had been ripped off and he could not swim at all.

I euthenised the poor little blighter by placing him in some wet loo roll in a plastic bag in the freezer.

I can only assume it was the Angels....although they certainly do not seem to be bothering the Neons when the light is on. I suppose it has to be them, but they are so tiny....I have another Angel who is about twice the size of the gangsta Angels, and she is mild as milk gets along fine with Neons and Flame Tetras. Still I guess every Angel has a different personality....

I thought neons are an angel's natural prey in the wild and that is why you should never house them together... I could be wrong

Actually I think the Angels have been exonerated! I took my three remaining Neons and put them in an Eclipse 64 oz drink container. They stayed in there for three days and were then released back into the tank. They have been perfectly fine in there with the Angels for a week now.

I suppose the other Neons just died of stress and were then eaten or possibly they had some parasites. It gives me hope anyway that when the 55 Gallon is eventually up and running it really will be a fishy Utopia!

Back
Top Bottom