the new guy is already injured!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago I bought a black skirt tetra to finally complete my small school of
black skirt tetras. While I was reading last night I just so happen to see the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. The eye of the new tetra bulging out of the eye socket, so I did what most would have done... I panicked. Luckily, the book I was reading was basically how to take care of your freshwater aquarium. From what I read, it seems it might be pop-eye, but I have a feeling that it might be something else, so I began thinking that the other culprit could have been the other black skirts.He does look like he had been injured, just I don't know how. For now. I'll just do another water change, but hope you guy and girls can help me. Thanks in advance.

Hi there best thing to do is put him in a hospital tank and treat him for popeye. He'll be perfect in a few days

Update: there's bad news. He lost his entire right eye. Its seems its starting to heal, but I've noticed that he swims into stuff, stays behind the lava rock while his good eye is visible, can't stay in the group cuz he's lost, and has great difficulty looking for food. It somewhat spells disaster, but I hope for the best because last night I put in a lot of effort into feeding him. It took a while and my arms hurt but again hope for best.

That's too bad but I would move him into a hospital tank and keep the water very clean until he's healed up. He will learn to live with one eye.

Back
Top Bottom