The quickest way to get help for your fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
After many months of very active discussion, the archives for this forum are fill with all kinds of very useful information that may relate to your current situation or question. Very often, it is much faster to do a simple search for the information you want than it is to post a question and then have your fish possibly suffer while you wait for an answer :)

Why did I bring this up? Last night I put some Melafix in my 10g tank because my Betta's fins are getting torn up and I wanted to help him. I think he was getting caught in some of the plants (now replaced with silk plants). The Tetra in the tank needs some help with its fins too, they got eaten off long ago and are going back s-l-o-w. After adding the Melafix, my Betta was going around the tank flaring at anything he could get close to. This is very odd behavior for him, he usually only flares if he is really hungry or other fish pick on him. I was going to post about it, but did a search instead. I quickly found out that Melafix is very bad for Bettas and other fish that breathe from the air. I did a couple of water changes in a hurry, and the Betta is now back to normal. If I had to wait for a reply, I am not sure what could have happened.

Oops :p Yeah. Search is an awesome feature..

I believe there is a special verson of Melafix called Bettafix, see if you can find it.

Tonight after work I am going to go hunting for Bettafix or Bettamax, hopefully that will help.

As ferret said, Bettafix is a version of Melafix, diluted for bettas. You'll use almost the whole bottle for your 10 gallon tank, though, and I would still watch out for signs of stress. I've used BettaMax many times, and like it a lot. But don't put it in your main tank. It will stain the silicone.

You could try to take the betta out and put him in a QT tank. My betta QT is a one gallon bowl. Then you wouldn't use as much Bettafix. I would still watch for signs of stress. You could also use the BettaMax in the QT. Use one capsule per gallon.

The tetra should be ok with the Melafix. I've only ever read about Melafix being bad for bettas and other labyrinth fishes. My betta definitely got stressed with Melafix. If you put Melafix in the main tank again for the tetras, just make sure it's all removed (do a water change and run some carbon) before putting the betta back in.

*nods and agrees*

There is something about the Melaleuca that doesn't jive well with anabantoids, at least at the levels in Melafix. I have a feeling it may irritate the labrynthian organ.

I always try to search first...I would also like specific examples of the acceptable format for boolean logic in your searches to make it more useful (going through 10 posts specific to your search is much preferable to 10 pages with 90 out of 100 posts not relating to the intended material searched for).

Such as:

If I say rot and tail or fin what will it give me? rot and (tail or fin) would be what I would like to do but I am not sure if it accepts it simply as (rot and tail) or fin which is what standard boolean logic dictates yet I don't believe paranthesis are acceptable for structuring your search criteria without the paranthesis themselves being considered a search term.

*scratches her head*

Umm. I dunno LOL I suggest PM fishfreek or reefrunner69 and asking one of them (as they run the joint :) ) and then come back here and let us know LOL

Back
Top Bottom