The Woes of My Balloon Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caniac99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Poor little guy... I have had my balloon molly for a few months now, so it is no pet store related issue. The issue is that he has issues swimming, mainly he can't swim in a horizontal position for long, and tends to lurch and flip as he goes. He sometimes is stuck simply floating up vertically, and his swimming is weak enough he gets stuck against the filter intake thing a lot. He is in a 10 gallon tank with two lyretail mollies, both of whom seem fine and are having no issues. I did a probably I'd estimate, 25% water change not even a week ago, and his balance issues just started tonight. The ammonia levels are fine. His fins seem fine, both work, and his scales are fine as well. He doesn't SEEM bloated (heck he is a balloon molly, hard to tell!)

Help please???

It could be genetic. What are your test levels? How often do you change water? What size is the tank?

Mine was the same thing! He has swim bladder issues, just cook a pea until soft and gushy and feed it to him. It usually fixes it in a couple of hours.
I didn't know that before and he died );

10 gallon tank. I change the water in part every week.

pH: 6.5
ammonia: safe
N02: 0
N03: 80ppm (ouch that is high, is this possibly the issue I am having? The others seem fine...)

You need to up your water changes, Under 20 would be much better. Feed him the chopped up blanched pea and see if it helps.

Ok, thanks rich311K!(and you too zoebear!) Feeding him a pea as we speak *crosses fingers*

Back
Top Bottom