think ive got major problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DEAN BARNES

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all
recently ive lost a stack of fisk ( 2 siemeese fighters, 1 male sword tale, tetras a gourami) this is within 1 week ive started seeing that some of the fish that died have had swollen lips on their mouths (all puffed up and white) i dont want to use chemicals . has anyone got any advice im in great need of some

cheers

dean
(tropical fish keeping newbe) :cry:

your 2 siamese fighters are also known as bettas correct? because you can not what so ever put two males together they will fight to death, or put a male and a female together cuz they will likely do the same, only females....explain tank size, if it is cycled and all the other details....we could use as much as possible!!!

Might need more details. It may be a fungal problem which could be in the gravel etc, or you might be feeding them frozen food that is still frozen :? How long you been set up for and what are the materials in your tank?

besides the rubber flange inside it being decayed, it got water on it when my tank overflowed, and shorted out..
don't ask why my tank overflowed, it sucked.

Please refrain from trying to get around the profanity filter of this site.

DEAN BARNES, sorry about all your fish :( Like the others said, we need more information. Look at this post and answer these questions: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33947

Here is another good article to read: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

My first thought is a bacterial infection. Columnaris often causes the swollen or "growth"appearance of the mouth, and antibiotics may be necessary to treat.

Some other thoughts: As mentioned, two male bettas can never live together. A male and a female can be put together briefly to breed; they can't live as tankmates. A betta and a gourami probably won't get along. They may, however, if the tank is big enough -- say, 55 gallons. A group of tetras may end up ganging up on, and nipping, the fins of a slow-moving betta.

It seems like you may have had an uncycled tank, some incompatability issues, and one or more fish that spread an infection. How many of the fish do you still have? Read up on the nitrogen cycle, with the article I linked and some google searches. Consider the compatibility of new fish and do some research. Here are some good sites for fish profiles:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=830
http://fish.mongabay.com/fish.htm

It's a good idea to set up a QT tank to isolate new fish before you introduce them to the main tank. A QT doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. It can be a rubbermaid container, with a heater, sponge filter, and a few plastic plants or pvc pipes/elbows for hiding places. If the new fish seem to be sick, they can be treated in the QT tank without affecting the fish in the main tank.

thankyou all for being so helpfull
the tank is 120 ltrs
ph 7.5
nitrte 0
nitrite 0
nh3 0
the tank is lightly planted with ocean rock and sea sand (not pure gravel)

the betas were both female and have been in the tank which i PRESUME is cycled (to be honest how can i tell if it has or hasnt) for 6/7 weeks the tank was purchased from a friend with all the gravel and 20 % of the water left in to keep the bacteria in there.

last night i noticed a platty with a swollen mouth this morning it also had died

but my neons red tale shark and 2 plecs seem fine so does my other guarami and some of these were the first fish introduced to my tank
any help would be appreciated

awesome...thats what we want, it possibly could be a fungus of the mouth....i'm not sure of the exact med's you could use, but go to your local petstore and look for a fungul medicine....if possible, could you try to take a pic of the fish with the disease.....do we ask for too much? lol

thanks again
do you think that its the same problem with another platty ive noticed his dorsal fin is white and not being used
could this be the same problem?
:(

ive just copleted a 25 % water change but didnt have time to buy RO WATER or let water standover night . so i added cycle to the new water do you think this will be a problem?

i also added hair algae treatment after filling the tank but never removed the carbon filter from the tank as the water was a little cloudy. will this make any difference to the process or the running of my tank?

by the way the platty has also died but after close inspection of my tank there seems to be no other fish with problems

Back
Top Bottom