Tiger Barb About to Euthanise and have no idea what is wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Gopher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my tiger barbs, for the last couple of days (I just got these fish a few days ago), won't eat, won't really swim, and usually hangs in solitude at the top of the tank.

Up until this morning, he would swim fine, when encouraged to do so, but this morning I noticed he is struggling with that much.

All my other tigers and gold barbs are fine, happy and very active.

With my sick one his scales are fine (not protruding, flaking or dull in color). His belly looks fine (not bloated or sunken in), his eyes are clear. I notice no signs of anything growing on his mouth or fins, or body. No other fish is displaying any abnormal behavior.

I have decided to humanely put him down today, since he now is struggling to swim (having a hard time remaining right side up).

I would like to know if anyone has any insight as to what might have been wrong with him? I'm actually not a newbie as far as owning fish goes, just been out of the hobby for some years, and this problem is eluding me in figuring out what's wrong with my tiger.

Oh and the tank ph is a steady 7.6, temperature holding steady at 78, ammonia WAS at 0.25 (new tank was expecting a small initial spike) but is now back at 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5.

I'm just wondering if he was simply a bad fish from the fish store I picked him up at? Maybe injured during netting? I just feel bad, hate seeing anything suffer...and still just slightly concerned other fish will die (though they all are fine, happy and eating voraciously lol).

Thanks in advance this board has already been helpful in my other thread on filters!

It may have been that he was ill from the lfs. You could also try feeding him some peas, he might be constipated. Take frozen peas, peel them, mush it up to bite size portions and try to get him to eat. Keep an eye on the other fish, they will probably be just fine.

yeah i'm suspecting he was ill from the lfs. well he's gone now :cry: when i went to check on him he was not able to swim so i euthanized him. the others look fine. i will keep ahold of the pea tip though for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom