Tiger barb facing completely vertical (head down)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

One of my tiger barbs I've had for ~1 1/2 years has begun a completely vertical headstand (about an inch off the bottom). He is constantly swimming to stay in this position (almost like he is trying to keep from floating to the surface). He doesn't have any other symptoms and swims fine when chased by the other tiger barbs. I don't know if he's been eating or not (he was always the fat one) but doesn't look skinny and has good color. I've changed nothing in the tank.

I'm leaning towards a swim bladder issue so here are is some relevant info:

-I do 50% PWC's once a week (moderately planted tank)

-all dry food is wetted prior to feeding

-my home-made fish food that I feed in the evening contains peas (I've been feeding this for at least 3 months so I doubt this is an issue)

-I was on vacation for 5 days slightly less than a week ago and they were only fed twice during that time

Any way to fix this without removing him from the tank? Will it fix itself or does it need to be treated in some way. All other fish are fine.

Thank you for the help.

I would take him out. If it is a swim bladder disease it it is either bacterial or viral, either way your other barbs are at risk. I would suggest a marycin treatment.

I would have to agree he should come out to be treated. Also add some epsom salts to his QT, may help if it is swim bladder, helps to pass fluids through the fish.

Thanks both of you for the replies. There's a good bit of epsom salts in the tank since its moderately planted and I use MgSO4 for my magnesium suppliment.

Strangely enough today he seems almost back to normal. I had to do a heavy trimming of the tank which riled up the fish a bit and they went about establishing all new territories and he's now at like a 45 degree angle (or less). The alpha male barb tends to pick on the other 4 barbs and I'm wondering if this posture is more of a way to hide from him (the barb in question hides among my dense anubias leaves). I'm going to monitor for another day or 2 and see what happens.

My 10gallon QT tank has been neglected pretty much and just has snails and clippings in it. It would need a serious overhaul to be acceptable for a fish. It also is at a different temperature and I do not dose it with ferts so the chemistry is also drastically different.

If the barb doesn't improve or look worse I will QT him, but in the last 24 hours he has looked much better and I'm beginning to wonder if its a territory issue rather then an actual health issue.

I have a friend with 5 tiger barbs and they all stood on their heads as well... I was always curious as to why... could they all have had a disease?.... She finally did about an 80% water change (after 6 months :S ) and now the alpha barb is attacking all the others , injuring them and actually killed one. Could this be related to stress at all? from the dirty water? I dont know.. anyway I hope your barb gets better :D

He seems to be better (definitely not worse) and no other fish are showing signs of disease. When he's out hunting for food he looks normal, its just when he's hiding in the java fern he goes near vertical. I really think its more a defensive position then anything actually wrong healthwise but I'm keeping an eye on him.

In my case water quality should never be an issue since I EI dose ferts and so do 50% PWC's weekly! In your friends case, it could be a lot of things causing the aggression but 6 months of no PWC's would have a tank in very bad condition nitrAte-wise (unless well planted).

Hey I have green tiger barbs and I see them do that when they "go to sleep" with lights out. Well not completely vertical but pretty close. I've seen that with other barbs as well. normal behavior?

Tiger barbs stand on thier heads when they are ready to mate. It's part of the 'dance' male Tiger barbs do.

My tigers will frequently do this, it seems to be a "resting" pose for them, even during the day. They've done it since day 1, and my oldest pair have been in the tank for more than 1 1/2 years.

He is constantly swimming to stay in this position (almost like he is trying to keep from floating to the surface).

I actually just had this happen to one of my silver dollars. He had it very bad unfortunately, and it progressed from swimming to stay in his position to not being able to do so, and floating to the top (and laying like a pancake on the top of the water). I took him out and put him in the hospital tank. I was worried about his gills getting oxygen burn from being exposed, so I put a heavy plastic 'hang on back' breeder-type thing I had from a long time ago over him and put a log on top - he would float at the top of it, but didn't hit the top of the water.

I believe it was either fish bloat or swim bladder disorder related to diet - too much protein and he got all stopped up. This affected his swim bladder. One of my other silver dollars was barely showing signs of this as well, swimming to stay in place, so I have fasted them all week and given a few peas here and there.

In the hospital tank I added epsom salts on Monday, a tblsp per 5 gallons, and last night I added a powder I got at the LFS - it's abbreviation was TMT but I can't tell you what it is without looking at the package. It was recommended to help swim bladder disorder. He was doing better this morning (this all started Sunday) and was swimming to stay in position instead of pancaking himself at the top. I'm going to put him in the main tank today as I'm gone for the long weekend and I'm sure he'll be fine.

I was super happy to fix this problem because he's a very healthy fish and I was upset that it happened to him. Hopefully your barb won't have this happen again!

same here

I recentley got 2 tiger barbs (my tank was to small for more) and one did that for a few minutes then stoped.

Tiger barbs stand on thier heads when they are ready to mate. It's part of the 'dance' male Tiger barbs do.

I second this. I have tiger barbs, two males and two females, and they do headstands after the males chase the gravid females. Nothing's wrong with them :]

:troop: lol. I went to Meijer's tonight and saw their tiger barbs doing the same thing... if it wasn't for this post I would have thought it was because they were at Meijer's lol.

Back
Top Bottom