Tiger barb in bad shape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a tiger barb, one of the 3 in the group I've taken in. She came in with a gimpy couple of fins which made it hard for her to swim properly, so she wasn't doing the best to begin with.

Recently I noticed that her fins look to be chewed on, little pieces taken out... then today I saw that a big chunk seems to have been off the side of her, swimming fin reduced to barely a hair, pink meaty bits exposed!

It is definitely one of the other tiger barbs picking on her. Would setting up a small sick tank for her do any good? Can fish regrow skin and major fins?

At best, maybe separation would let her die by not being eaten to death?

Advice please! :(

I would put her in a separate tank With good filtration. I would treat her with a medicine for fin rot. What size is your tank and how many barbs do you have? The more barbs you have the better they get along as long as they aren't to cramped.

I would put her in a separate tank With good filtration. I would treat her with a medicine for fin rot. What size is your tank and how many barbs do you have? The more barbs you have the better they get along as long as they aren't to cramped.

Tank is a 40 gal and they were all adopted fish, didn't have much room
to add more tiger barbs. I've removed her and put her in a 10g I had laying around, with a bubbler with planned frequent water changes. Also treated her with "Lifeguard"... My ideal choice was melafix/pimafix but petstores around here close at 9, had to run to Meijer. Tetra Lifeguard supposedly helps fin and mouth rot, as well as fungus and bacteria... So, I hope it helps a little at least.

And I'm sure it helps she won't be eaten alive!

Back
Top Bottom