Tiger barb with rock stuck in mouth!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktbo51

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tiger barb about an inch long with a rock stuck in his mouth. Its been there for 24 hours now, and he seems to be ok (besides the rock and all) I don't think he can eat though, he tries but i don't think any thing makes it past the rock. I tried grabing the rock with tweezers, but he is too small and i can't get the tweezers around the rock becaue his mouth is so small. Any ideas, or do i just have to accept that he will die?

kt

I got this from fish-diseases.com (I had no idea there was a clinical name for this...rockitis? LOL jeez):

"Treatment:

You need to remove the gravel from the fish's mouth or else it will eventually die of starvation. To do this, net the fish and as you bring it to the surface, it will open its mouth. If not, gently open its mouth with a fingernail or tweezers. At this point, grasp the rock with long, round-tipped tweezers and pull it out. If it does not come out easily, you can try turning the rock inside the fish's mouth to loosen it and then pull. To prevent this from reoccuring, you might consider replacing your gravel with gravel that is too large to fit in your fish's mouth.

Note: Only handle fish with wet hands and hold them gently. Never keep them out of water for more than 2 minutes, although this should only take 30 seconds. If you are unable to remove the rock, keep trying. Return the fish to the water and try again after it has rested for a few minutes."

Maybe buy smaller tweezers? It seems it MUST come out if hes to live.

Thanks

I'm going to get smaller tweezers today. I tried for at least half an hour (giving him breaks of course) to get the rock out yesterday. He still seems energetic and still tries to eat, but his mouth looks like it is bloody on the inside now. :(

thanks for the info though!

kt

Aw that poor thing :(

The only other thing I can suggest is to take him to a local vet. Expensive, and traveling with a fish isn't easy. But if you can't get it out, it may be the only other option.

yay!

We got it out! it turned out to be a little black beetle instead of a rock. Well at least i won't have to worry about it happening again or have to change rocks. :)
I couldn't find tweezers small enough, but i was able to find a really small nail and cut the tip off and curve the end of it. With that i was able to get around the beetle and pop it out. I waited half an hour for the fish to rest, and then fed them and he ate!!! It looks like he'll be ok

kt

Oh awesome!!! I was worried about your lil guy; wasn't sure if you were going to be able to get it out.

And wow...it was a BEETLE?? How strange! What the heck kind beetle was it??

Phew... I've actually been thinking about your tigar barb today. I read your posts this morning before I went to work.

The beetle was just a ordinary black one about 1/4-1/6th of an inch long. It was so weird when i started getting it out because it was so much longer than i thought it was going to be.
I just hope he wasn't so stressed out by all the excitement that he'll die. I figure that if he is so energentic about eating that he should be alright.
thanks for all the advice and the concern!

kt

Heh, that'll teach him to eat non approved foods ;)

And I'm not surprised he's eating; he musta been ravenous after not eating for a few days. I agree, long as the cuts in his mouth don't get affected (and fresh water should help with that) he should be fine. Yay!

Just an update. mr.tiger barb is doing great. his mouth looks like it healed up, and you'd never guess anything had ever happened to him :)

kt

Back
Top Bottom