Tiger Barbs Sudden Death? (New fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stargaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, Stargaze again.

After finally getting my tank cycled I decided to celebrate by adding some new stock to my tank. (was this a mistake?)

Last night I added 3 Albino Tiger Barbs and 3 Regular tiger barbs to my 37 gallon tank. (Filled with 5 Giant Danio's and 3 Angelicus Botia Loaches.)
I brought them home from work (as I work at my LFS.)
On the trip home one of the regular tiger barbs seemed to be very slightly sluggish. (on a 1-10 scale, I would have rated it a 1. Not too noticeable, but enough to catch my attention.) The drive home is about 15-20 minutes.

The bag was left for 15minutes in my tank to acclimate to temperature, and then the fish were added.
Within 20 minutes the sluggish behavior worsened and eventually it was swimming oddly, almost getting pushed around the current and getting stuck in plants. I got it out of the plants thinking it was just stressed from the change of habitat (the same thing happened with my smallest Danio, and it is thriving in my tank)
Within an hour of being added to my tank it was dead.

I took it out immediately upon realizing it was dead, put it in the freezer and took it back this afternoon to another location for an exchange of a new barb. I did a water test this morning. Ammonia was 0, Trates/trites both 0 as well.
Got the new guy home and he is fine.

Now about two hours ago another of the regular tiger barbs from last night was beginning to swim a little more slowly (nose-down for a few seconds, then normal swimming. Followed with another nose-down motion for a few seconds)
After seeing him suddenly being pushed around in the tank less than two minutes ago, I went to show my mom. And he was within seconds of her entering the room he was dead.

What on earth is going on?? I just did another ammonia test, also at 0ppm. :( Currently watching my other barbs to see if they exhibit the same behavior. Is this a disease? Is it something that can spread to my other fish? Or could it be shock? I'm still very new to this....

*edit*
I also would like to note that all of my barbs aren't schooling together at the moment :<
Two of the Albino's and one of the regular barbs are on the right side of my tank. Sometimes swimming together but mostly a little apart from one another.
The other regular tiger barb is swimming to the bottom left of my tank, and the third albino is in the upper left. Could this be a sign of something amiss? :(

*Edit again*
Its now 8:16, and it seems that several of my tiger barbs are beginining to swim in a vertical head-down fashon similar to this ---> /
Uggh :< I don't have a quarantine tank to put them in either.

Last edited:
I had bought 3 new tiger barbs and all of them did the same thing and I still don't know what was wrong.

How are you testing? Liquid test or strips? It's strange that nitrates are 0. You should at least see some nitrates in a cycled tank.

If all of your water parameters are good (0 amm, 0 nitrite, less 20ppm nitrates), perhaps theres a great ph difference between your tank and that of the lfs. Drastically differing phs is enough to sicken & kill your new fish. Spending a long time acclimating them (drip acclimation-im sure someone will post a link!) over a period of hours by adding a few drops of tank water every 15mins to let them gradually adjust. Is there anyway you can find out the ph at the lfs vs what yours is?

I ended using plain tap water and my fish are perfectly fine now and they are all thriving.

Back
Top Bottom