Tiger Oscar has ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mink2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
002.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg
Hello, everybody.

I was wondering if my Tiger Oscar has ich?

Pls advise. Thanks.

mink2

To me it doesn't look like ich, it looks like fin rot/fungus. Do you have other fish in there too? Because the missing piece on the top fin looks like a bite.

To me it doesn't look like ich, it looks like fin rot/fungus. Do you have other fish in there too? Because the missing piece on the top fin looks like a bite.

He (about ~ 6 inches) is living in a 30 gals tank with a pirahnae (~ 5 inches), but they are seperated by a think plastic shield. At no time, they are mixed.

The pirahnae has no similar "damages" on it. Hmmm... I will move the pirahnae tomorrow to another tank just in case it gets the same problem, or somehow manages to cause damages to the Oscar.

What tank size, what are the water parameters, and what other fish are in the tank?

I haven't been testing the water quality for a long time. I will do that tomorrow. Thanks for reminding. But the pirahnae seems to be happy living in the tank. :)

Well, I think it is either fin rot or fungus, or both, (probably both by the looks of it). And the best way to cure fin rot is clean clean water, and to get rid of the fungus, you need to get some Melafix or a similar product, (I am not sure where you are located).
How often do you change the water out, and how much?
And someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 15G too small for either one of those fish? If the tank is too small, you are going to be battling problems forever with them. :(

Well, I think it is either fin rot or fungus, or both, (probably both by the looks of it). And the best way to cure fin rot is clean clean water, and to get rid of the fungus, you need to get some Melafix or a similar product, (I am not sure where you are located).
How often do you change the water out, and how much?
And someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 15G too small for either one of those fish? If the tank is too small, you are going to be battling problems forever with them. :(

I have a spare 20 gal tank in the garage. May be it's time to take it out.

I will pay a visit to an aquarium tomorrow to get some medicine for the poor guy. I think the problem started when I slacked off on changing the water (like 2 months). Shame on me. :( I usually change the water each month, 25% each time.

Most people on here change their water once a week, it is better for the fish that way. I change 50% of my tanks water every Sunday (5 tanks) And from not having his water changed, that probably led to fin rot, and then those sores got fungus. So yes, I would start changing more of the water, and get some anit-fungal medicine at the pet store. :)
Remember that the 20G you are thinking about using will not be cycled either, and as far as I know, oscars are pretty messy, so you would be changing part of that water out every day.

Most people on here change their water once a week, it is better for the fish that way. I change 50% of my tanks water every Sunday (5 tanks) And from not having his water changed, that probably led to fin rot, and then those sores got fungus. So yes, I would start changing more of the water, and get some anit-fungal medicine at the pet store. :)
Remember that the 20G you are thinking about using will not be cycled either, and as far as I know, oscars are pretty messy, so you would be changing part of that water out every day.

OMG! Now I'm really embarrass. Thanks for educating me "gently" and not calling me something like "irresponsible owner", "moron", etc.. I will set a schedule up and start changing more rigorously from now on.

Thanks for the advise. :)

I would never say that to you! Everyone on here started out somewhere! Good for you for taking action and advice though! Your fish will be much happier and healthier! :)

I have been distracted lately because I was deciding if I should change career. I started to notice my Oscar acting sluggishly last week. So, I decided to change the water (50%). Then, he has been eating and active again. I hope by changing water more frequently, giving him more space and medicine can fix him up quickly. I feel sorry for him.

Yes, he was excited about the clean water! If there is ammonia in the tank, that will make them sick too, because it burns their gills. :( And he will be happier with more space for sure!

Just to forewarn you, that oscar will need a bigger tank soon. 55 gallons is the absolute smallest that an oscar should be in, 75 gallons is best. Id say that aside from everything else, the stress of being cramped in a small tank is making the fish more susceptible to disease. Most people dont realize that the little 1-2" oscar they get as a baby will turn in to a 10-12" monster fairly quickly.

Great advice given.. I agree that this is an enviroment quality issue for the most part.

Some oscars eyes normaly stick out a little bit, but this guy looks like his are sticking way out because hes thin, amongst the rest of it. His tummy is also sunk in. Is he eating?

A larger tank will help the most. Or at least lose the divider and maybe leave him in the one he is in for now alone? But start looking locally for a new tank. They are everywhere

Back
Top Bottom