Tiger Oscar.. not feeling so well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Water Paramiters.
Ammo-0
PH-6.1
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 10

The tank has been up for close to 6 months now.. maybe 7. Oscar was bought when he was like.. 3" long... now pushing the scale at 9" long lol Today i came in and he looks like he has no equalibrium. Sitting in the corner of the tank not moving his fins, breathing really slowly... and it seriously looks like he is just leaning against the glass. And appears to have 0 Appitite.

He is acting weird too... almost bored. He is turning sideways to go threw spots he wouldnt normally go just to have something to do. Any ideas as to whats wrong with him?

He keeps bleaching out also.

I'll second that any nitrites showing up should be considered abnormal and you should find the cause of that. That said, have you recently changed anything in or around his tank? You may know that Os commonly "sulk" when something is changed in their environment. Changing from open top to an eggcrate top, removing the large rock he sleeps near, changing filter output location.. all of these small acts led to one of my Os laying on the bottom for anywhere from a few hours to two days.

i recently added a few live plants to the tank. Id think that would help control my nitrates not spike my nitrites

Ok.. well intrestlingly enough.. he just threw up his meal. Ive never seen a fish do this... and its kinda nasty... Is there a flu for fish by some slim chance?

Is he bloated at all? He may be constipated or may have bloat. Swim bladder disease is another possibilty.Try feeding a frozen pea, nuke it for a few seconds and peel. You may have to hold it right to his face and he may not eat it.

Depending on what other tank mates you can add some epsom salts to the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom