Tiger Oscar - Rapid Breathing and Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's eating quite a bit the last 2 days. Only concern is that he is doing a lot of spitting as part of the process. I even saw him hanging around the top of the tank for awhile looking for food.

Are these good signs or is the spitting a bad indicator?

If the Oscar is eating he's not suffering from Bloat, so continue the treatment and feed very lightly until the treatment is over. It's encouraging that he's eating so that's a good sign.

Update:

The Oscar is still alive. Been Treating the tank for about 5 days and not sure what to make of the results. The Oscar is showing an appetite and eating when I feed, although he spits everything he eats. He spits so much, I am not sure how much he is actually swallowing. Tonight, I noticed he was clamping his dorsel fin, which is a new symptom. I decided to do a 50% PWC, but no major change yet. A few days ago, he was looking much better, even showing some occassional aggression with the Convict. Between the food spitting and clamped fins though, I have some serious doubts about whether or not things are progressing like I hoped. Any thoughts after reading this update?

All other fish in the tank are still very lively and showing no signs of disease or stress.

I would try fasting the oscar for a few days to see if that triggers a different effect on the food, remember oscars are huge drama queen babies. Other than clean water I'm afraid there is not alot more that can be done at this time, but I would do a few daily 50% PWC to help remove any traces of the medication.

Sounds like a plan. I won't feed the fish until Thursday or Friday and we'll see what happens. Maybe i'll also check my water parameters tonight and verify my bio-filter wasn't disrupted by the medication.

The Oscar looked fanstastic last night. Swimming around freely, some aggression/Chasing with the Convict, No Clamped Fins, Little to No breathing issues apparent.

I did not feed last night though, so I cannot confirm on the spitting issue.

This is like a rollercoaster. Every day its good news / bad news with treating this fish.

Good news, I would still continue to the fast for a couple more days. Keep the water clean and I'm sure he'll pull through(these guys are like tanks).

Oscar is looking good! After 2 more water changes and a few days of fasting, he appears to be 100% back to normal.

He's been more aggressive with the convict the last two days by chasing him away and really controlling the front of the tank, could that be related to the fasting? Those two have always been buddies.

More than likely he's just flexing a little muscle while re-establishing his dominance/territory after being in hiding.

More than likely he's just flexing a little muscle while re-establishing his dominance/territory after being in hiding.

Haha! I'm just glad he's back to himself. Thanks so much for the advice. I know he's only a $5 fish, but he makes my day.

Haha! I'm just glad he's back to himself. Thanks so much for the advice. I know he's only a $5 fish, but he makes my day.

Price means nothing, some of my favorite fish were rescues that were free. Good luck he's going to be stunning when as he grows.

Back
Top Bottom