Time to euthanize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Molly that has been acting oddly for months now. She's very reclusive and has a panic attack whenever I approach the tank. Even when Im not near the tank she is usually wedged in a corner somewhere. She wasnt like this when I first got her and Im not sure what I did to traumatize her. I only mention this behavior because Im not sure whether or not it relates to her current condition.

Around a month ago, I noticed that she would be resting at unusual angles when she was jammed up into whatever hiding spot she had choosen.... sometimes being completely vertical.

About 10 days ago she stopped hiding and started swimming around freely, but with great difficulty maintaining a normal "upright" position. Its progressively gotten worse to the point where she has basically been laying upside down on the substrate for the past 4-5 days. Her gills are moving and she does manage to move around sometimes, so I know she's alive.

Her bright yellow coloring is now very pale and almost white in some parts. There isnt any swelling, bloating or any other exterior indicators of what could be affecting her. I am assuming that there is something wrong with her swim bladder, but not sure what the underlying cause is. I have not personally witnessed her eat anything in several days.
Unfortunately, my QT is currently inhabited, so Im not able to isolate, and Id rather not medicate my healthy fish.

I know somebody will ask, so here are the specs, parameters and history of the tank:
20 Long filtered with two Eheim Ecco 2232's
I finished a Fish-Less cycle back in mid-October, so its been up and running with fish for about 3 months (though Ive had this Molly since last May).
I do not add salt due to potential problems with other fish in the tank.

ph 7.4 to 7.6 (shows highest reading on Normal pH test, and lowest reading on High pH test).
Temp stays pretty steady at 76F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm before weekly PWCs. I have live plants in the tank, so I do either a 25% or 50% PWC depending on what my Nitrate reading is prior.

Other tank inhabits:
7 Serpae Tetras
7 Gold Neon Tetras
2 Bumblebee Catfish (SA)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mystery snail
2 Nerite Snails
1-5 Ghost shrimp (difficult to get an accurate count with them).
All seemingly healthy

So, after this long winded preamble, my question is this:
Do I keep a vigil and hope she somehow recovers?
or
Is she likely just suffering from a slow death at this point and maybe its time to put her out of her misery?

Attachments

• SickMolly.jpg
    SickMolly.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 99
I'd euthanize. She was probably just stressed. I have noticed that my male platy was very shy until I added some females. Maybe she was just scared being by herself. At this point, I'm not sure what else you could do for her. Since she has been like that for so long, I think the kind thing to do at this point would be to put her out. :( So sorry.

I went with the "icy water" method. :ermm:

Hopefully it was the right choice.
Ive not had great success with Mollys.

Back
Top Bottom