Time to euthanize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Male sailfin have owned for a couple of years is fluttering around in the tank. There are some of his fry in there with him that have grown to maybe 1.5" inches. The mother died a few weeks ago so he is the only adult fish in there. One of the fry is relentlessly nipping at his fins and the only thing he can do to defend himself is attempt to swim away. I guess i know what needs to be done but wanted some moral support. :(

Is the fish sick? Or are they just nipping at him? If that's the case I'd remove the babies so he can have peace. Sorry I'm a little confused :)

He was sick. This morning I found him upside down struggling to breathe on top of the sponge filter. This fish was an "Alpha" in his prime and the last few days he has been defenseless and listless. He was leaning against the glass and plants struggling to breathe and did not look like he was coming back so about 15 mins ago I euthanized him with the ice water method described in this forms stickie. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom