Tissue damage from columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are the areas of the face that columnaris may have eaten away at ever healed? I have a few that have a shorter top lip than bottom and some with a flat mouth BUT my biggest concern is not ever thinking they are healed since I will always see it.

I'm tempted to cull the ones that look at all like they have it or any damage etc and see how the fish that don't show damage do. My meds are done probably spent more than the fish cost and have spend 5 weeks doing it.

Anyway any advice for this?
Thanks
Jana

Oh and how do I decontaminate the tank? Uber salt water soak?

Thanks!

Columnaris

IF you have hard/calcium water (GH) than your best bet for columnaris is Kanamycin + Furan 2. You can get the Furan 2 from kensfish.com. At this time i have no idea where to get the kanamycin. It seems that alot of the meds that work good are being pulled off the market and they give us stupid things like melafix which just are not strong enough. If your water is not hard, Minocycline (Maracyn-2) works Very well too. That should be easier to find. What kind of fish are you raising?

These are all tetras 10 black neons and 5 neons. I've been fighting it for over a month with all sorts of stuff used (pimafix, melafix, triple sulfa, kanaplex/furan2, maroxy, then finished up with a tetracycline and methylene blue baths. All the time salt at 1 tsp per gallon.

So at this point I am culling the ones that look like they might still have it :( then either culling the rest or waiting and seeing how they do.

It all started with one little neon. I should have culled him at the beginning.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom