To Salt Or Not To Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lurkershdw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well, today i went aquarium shopping, and bought some freshwater aquarium salt, since one of my goldfish has a fungal infection, and i ran out of the medication.(i've been told the salt will also help out, and he's pretty close to being healed) And i was thinking about using it in my platy tank too, but the problem is i have a bunch of "hitch hiker snails" (which i put in there on purpose), and i'm pretty sure that the salt would kill the snails... What should i do?

1tbsp salt/5gal is good for livebearers. That much will definately kill a snail, or at least prevent it from ever comming out if it's shell.

Melafix is great for fungal infections & quickly healing up the damage. You should never stop any antibacterial treatment, until the disease if fully cured.

ty for the info, i was just reluctant to go buy more medications until i was certain it was necessary since it's so dang expensive. the kind of medication i was using is PimaFix, do you know if those meds you listed work better or worse then the PimaFix?

PimaFix and MelaFix are very similar, the former utilizing bay oil and the latter utilizing tea tree oil, and they can actually be used together for a comprehensive treatment.

hmmmm... i've used jungle brand freshwater aquarium salt at the rate of one tablespoon per 10 gallons which is the label direction. and i've had my snails for cose to 6 months so... IME it affects them not at all.
thats just my IME with this one product.
ian

ty urville, i'll try a half-dose of salt, and cross my fingers and hope the snails make it

Back
Top Bottom