Too much medicine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Say your fish are sick and you are not completly sure what is wrong, but you think it is possibly two or more dieseases which would require two or more medications. Is there a certian amount of medication that too much and is bad for fish? Or could you make a cocktail of different medications to be sure you are treating the diesease?

Is there a certian amount of medication that too much and is bad for fish?

Sure. Infact just like human meds I would be careful of what you mix as the resutls may not be desirable. One of the most direct effects on extra meds will not be on the fish directly but on the bactera that live in your substrate. Most of the meds that are used are antibacteral thus they kill not only the bad bacteras but they also can do a number on the good bactera that make up your bio filter.

This is one reason a quartineen tank would be of benifit so you can dose your meds in that tank with your fish in it vs medicating the main tank.

coming from the uk i use the interpet range of medications for my fish.their instructions are to wait a week and do a 30% water change before redosing or using any other medication.i dont know whether this applies to other products but i imagine it does ..hope this helps , jackie

You might want to look around as there is some med's that can cure several disease. However, medication is the last thing you want to use...some medications may be too strong for smaller scaless fish then the larger fish with scales. Unless your fish are really in bad condition...I would suggest water changes over medication

it depends on the illness, a simple water change is not going to cure all ills--but you do need to watch that chemistry if you start treating your tank with antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom