Too skinny fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stracer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 37 gallon tank setup for around 8 months now without any problems. I have 6 Danio Zebras, 3 Cory Catfish, and 6 Neon Headlight fish. 5 of my Zebras have grown to about 2 inches long, but the 6th has not grown at all and is now not looking healthy. He or She has a shrunken stomach and hangs out in the dark corner all by its self. Should I keep it in the tank or get rid of it? I don't want to kill it, but I'm not sure how to help it. Is it just old age? I think the life span is around 2 years for these fish. Maybe some counciling with a dietition? :)

Is it eating? Do you notice if it's pooping white stringy poo? It could be an internal parasite but without more info (and maybe a photo?) it's hard to say for sure.

He seems to be be eating small flakes that float by him, but he doesnt venture very far from his corner. He seems to swimming ok. Funny thing, when I had guppies years ago I could see them pooping all the time. I have never seen any of my fish poop. I will see if I can take a photo of one of my healthy fish and this one.

Ok....the picture with the two fish are the healthy fish and the little lonely fish is the sick one...at least I think he's sick.

Attachments

• IMG_1583 (800x576) (640x461).jpg
    IMG_1583 (800x576) (640x461).jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1582 (640x491).jpg
    IMG_1582 (640x491).jpg
    132 KB · Views: 234
It does look on the skinny side. It's hard to say and I'm not too familiar with fish disease yet (knock on wood lol). Can you quarantine it and maybe try treating it with....Hm, I have no idea. My first thought is Jungle parasite medicated fish food but I have no idea if that would be enough or would be treating the right thing. Fish TB maybe but I've read that's fairly rare. You could try the medicated food at least and see if it helps. Hopefully someone else will answer and be of more help. I hope your fish gets better.

Well the skinny fish is no more.....the little guy wasn' at the top of the tank last night when I hit the hay....he looked like he was having to work a little harder to keep from sinking. When I checked on him this morning he was gone......I think the Cories ate him.....I looked everywhere for him or rather any trace of him and he is just gone. Now I'm worried the Corries are going to get sick. I am keeping a close watch on the rest of my fish for signs of the same symptoms.

Sorry about your fish. :( Check inside your filters; sometimes they can get sucked up into the filter (happened to me once) especially if they are too sick (or alraedy dead) to avoid the pull of the intake. Try to find it b/c if it's rotting in your water it's going to bring down your water quality. Check the filter(s) as I said and under/between any decorations. I'd do a 50% water change also just to be safe. I hope the rest of your fish are ok.

Have any of you other fish shown these symptoms? I have some danios that look the same way and even getting bent spines at the end. Im trying to rule OUT fish TB...

I lost an entire school of danios this way. It was a slow process over a few months, with weeks of healthy fish before one would stop swimming and waste away. I tried treating for parasites, internal and external, to no avail. Never figured out what caused it. Hope you have better results than I did.

Back
Top Bottom