Too warm for Zebra Danios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm keeping a close eye on my Zebra Danios - possible Ich infestation. If that turns out to be the case, I was wondering what temperature the Danios can handle. I've read that raising the temerature of the water to 86 degrees will prevent the Ich from reproducing. Danios being a cool(er) water fish - can they handle that warm of water?

Your Fish

I'm keeping a close eye on my Zebra Danios - possible Ich infestation. If that turns out to be the case, I was wondering what temperature the Danios can handle. I've read that raising the temerature of the water to 86 degrees will prevent the Ich from reproducing. Danios being a cool(er) water fish - can they handle that warm of water?

Hello Loto...

Zebra Danios are one of the hardiest fish. They'll tolerate a wide range of water conditions. This is why they're used to cycle tanks. The tank water doesn't have to be too warm. High heat will damage any aquatic plants you have. If you change half the tank water daily and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material and do this until you see improvement in the fish, I believe you could keep the water temperature somewhat lower. 80 degrees should be enough.

Add filtration too. Warmer tank water needs more oxygen.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

I don't have any plants to worry about, so I have that going for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom