torn fin, and going on vacation.....????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home from work today, and my betta's back fins are torn....It looks like he maybe got caught in a plastic plant or something. There's no sign of aggression by other fish. He is swimming and eating well, but I'm a little worried, because I leave for vacation soon and won't be able to monitor him.

Is there anything I should do preventatively, or should I assume he's okay by how good he looks now, and hope for the best? There will be someone coming in to feed the fish (and the other animals) while I'm gone, but she knows nothing about fish. I'm going to do a water change before I leave.

QT the betta for his safety or if you think the plastic plants are to blame, remove them. I was just reading another post about bettas--if you run the plant along a nylon and it tears, the same could happen to your bettas' fins. The recommendation on the other posting was for silk plants instead of plastic.
HTH

I did remove the plastic plants. I picked up a medication and am just going to ask the sitter to watch him and add it only if he seems to need it. He still seems to be doing great, so I'm not so worried anymore....

thanks

Back
Top Bottom