Torn fins? Or rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, please take a look at my betta's fins. Is this rot? Or tears? He loves to swim against the pull of the filter. I have filled both the intake and filter tank with media to slow the flow. It seems to have gotten so much worse in the last 24 hrs.

Levels- not taken with strips
Ammonia -0
Ph - 7.2

I'm waiting on my test kit to arrive to test for everything else.

WC 20% weekly
Monthly WC 50%

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

oh my gosh. i am seriously having the exact same problem right now! my veiltail looks like a crowntail now! i don't know what to do! :( sorry about your betta, good luck! he's beautiful by the way! :)

I saw your post. Sounds like you've lucked out and it's not fun rot. I hope he doing better. Good luck. He's a beautiful color.

Now if only someone would take a look at my post and offer some advise. :(

Take care!

I saw your post. Sounds like you've lucked out and it's not fun rot. I hope he doing better. Good luck. He's a beautiful color.

Now if only someone would take a look at my post and offer some advise. :(

Take care!

thank you so much! :) yes, i think it's actually tail-biting, which kind of stinks but i might be able to entertain him enough with different things so he'll stop. we'll see how it goes! i'm sorry i can't be of much help here, i'm quite a beginner with bettas. best wishes!!

All I can say is that doesn't look like fin rot. But if I'm wrong can bettas handle salt? If they can add a little and it should clear up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the response. I took the photo to a local fish store (not a Petsmart or the like). They also said it didn't look like fin rot. I've replaced the HOB filter with a sponge filter with a divert tube to keep the bubbles blowing him away. Clean water, etc. the fins don't seem to be worse so we'll see. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think we have progress!

Before...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427063670.344380.jpg

Today..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427063693.237279.jpg

And this one just cause I think it's a cool picture...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427063745.763927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom