torn up albino sailfin pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibbiceps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase the most gorgeous midas cichlid you've ever seen, knowing it is one of the most aggressive cichlids that exists, I tossed him in a 50 gallon by himself with an albino sailfin pleco.

I thought it would be ok considering it is a pleco and he's a cichlid, they won't bother each other, but I was wrong! Much to my horror just two days ago the midas destroyed the pleco's fins. The pleco is pretty valuble to me, he is approaching 7 years old and is a rare find for a Pleco. He has killed hundreds of dollars of fish (large discus, angels, bushy nosed plecos, and much more) so most of his life he has lived by himself. Since, he himself is a terror, I thought he could make it with a midas.

Do you think they'll ever work it out?

More importantly, will that bottom ray heal or is he premanently destroyed? :(

img_833654_0_ac2cac423c25498088e20b93286c8d45.jpg

The beautiful terror, he is 8 inches long bright red and has two blue eyes
img_833654_1_de2caed58c37ea1c6bbbadf2d65a2a87.jpg

this is the only picture of him I have

I would get rid of the Midas as the pleco clearly means a lot to you. keep the tank water pristine and do extra water changes and some melafix might not be a bad idea.

I don't know too much about those fish and their behaviors, b ut I do know about fins. As long as the fins aren't chewed down to the base they will grow back. Judging from the pic, they will grow back just fine. I do agree with Anne, pristine water and melafix should help in the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom