Torn up Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dubleshortlatte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My mother's Betta got stuck in a small hole in a ceramic pot in his tank...he panicked and was struggling, and ended up ripping off some of his scales. I didn't see him, but over the phone, my mom said that he tore off some smaller fins and is pretty battered up.

Is there anything we can do? I'm not even sure if he'll survive the night...:(

How is he acting aside from losing the scales? Lethargic, breathing fast? The best thing you can do for him is to keep the water pristine. When was the last time you did a water change? I would start out with a 50% pwc if you haven't done a water change in the last couple of days.

I'm not sure how he's breathing, but my mom said that he is having trouble floating or maintaining position in the tank.

He has an open sore...I'm not sure of water parameters. Sorry, I know this is probably really frustrating...but I am in a different town than the fish, and I don't think my mom has the proper equipment to test the water parameters.

None, only some aquarium salt. She can get some medication in the morning if he can make the night.

Well the shrimp will not appreciate any salt so adding that is not a good idea. I would stick with the water change and turn out the lights ease stress and see how he does by the morning. If he makes it fine through the nite and doesn't worsen, I would just do water changes every couple of days. If he seems to get worse then I'd get some Jungle's fungus eliminator as it can work for open sores as well as for fungus. Don't use melafix or pimafix with bettas.

Back
Top Bottom