Tourettes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought 5 goldfish and 2 of them might be sick. At first, all of the fish seemed fine and healthy, then one of the fish laid on the floor and just sat there breathing. A couple minutes later, a second fish did the same thing. Now for the weird part... After about 5 min of resting, the fish will get up and start darting all over the tank like crazy, as if someone was tapping on the glass constantly, for 2 minutes. Then, after their moment they return to the floor.

I let the bag float in the water so the temp could even out

I don't have any testing supplies yet (waiting for them in the mail).

The water has been cycling for 5 days

I just bought them because I wanted to speed up the cycling process

I would first start with a pwc. What size tank? What did you add intitally for an ammonia source? The best way to cycle a tank is fishless with seeded media from another filter or substrate from an established tank.

PWC? It's a 55-gallon tank. Oh, and I have no testing equipment or ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. Also, this is the only tank I have so I can't get any media from another tank.

Oh, and one of the fish that is still kickin' has a thin white film covering his fins and body. I don't know if that was before I put him into the tank or what, but it could be something.

Last edited:
PWC is partial water change. It sounds like you may have gotten some sick goldies. If you want to treat with meds you will postpone the cycle as meds usually damage the bacterial cycle. You could take them back to the lfs and get a FW master test kit to start monitoring your cycle. You can get pure ammonia with no soap or additives to start the fishless cycle on your tank.

Well, they are all gone now. I already ordered the master test kit and other important items a couple days ago, so I guess I will just wait until then.

You can get the ammonia from any local store. Make sure there is no soap or additives. You can start dosing the tank with ammonia right away. Aim for about 4ppm and keep it at that until you see it dropping and nitrites increasing. Then keeping the ammonia at 2-3 ppm until both ammonia and nitrite are coverted to nitrate. Once they convert within a day, you will be cycled and can add fish.

Five days does absolutely nothing for cycling a tank, especially a 55 gallon. Aside from that, the symptoms described point to poisoning. With what is anyone's guess.

Well I know that, but as hardy as goldfish are, I figured they would have been fine.

Back
Top Bottom