Trapped Molly has scrapes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KCE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I realised yesterday that my Mollie fish got stuck in a castle ordiements and she's grazed all the skin it's all gone White and flakey is this a bacteria or will it heal shall I remove her from the tank from effecting the other fish

Do you know your water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte

pH

How long has the tank been set up?

How long has this fish been with you?

Clean fresh water (dechlorinated always) temperature matched, will give the fish the best chance to heal.

It is possible that the fish was ill and got stuck, possibly not the other way around.

How are the rest of the fish?

The article in my signature has a link for some good information about aquarium keeping.

If it happens to be just this fishes injuries it may die if the stress and injuries are severe.

If it seems it could recover, then here is some information on treating fish with Epsom Salts. It would be using the larger dose for illness or very ill fish.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html#post3548383

About my Mollie

Hiya......
Thanks for taking time to read my question.
I've had my aqauirum (fish tank) set up for couple of year's I've recently upgraded my fish tank to a bigger wider deeper fish tank than my first tank I had this is because my guppies are breeding like rabbits! It's true when people say if you don't want hundreds of Baby fry i.e baby guppies then as soon as possible take time and focus and try remove the males, female's from each other and separate them ASAP.. To stop This from happening because they can Mate from 6weeks onwards! then you just have a fish nursery stocked with loads fish a female guppy can re use the sperm from a male and store it for months after getting impregnated so it's a never ending cycle!! And such a early stage can be quite tricky to tell the sex.. so I've had no problem with fish dying or health issues! But I've noticed the female guppies do it more by flicking and scraping the bottom off tank and on ordiements plants etc when pregnant and wanting to give birth!! My Molly ? I bread them my self and it was my Best one bright orange colour and he's tried to get through a castle I've recently added to tank and he was a bit big he managed to get in the other side but struggled to get out other end and with him panicking and struggling to get out he's scraped all his scales and body and took skin away I treated him with aqauirum salt and kept a close eye on him but his wounds started to go a furry white colour like Cotton wool and puffy from the fur that started to collect when he wounded him self and h was staying in 1 spot in tank and was getting aggressive towards other fish that came in his way were beofre he was actually quite playful and active? Since that happening his body language changed and was acting weriod so I removed him and put him down toliet because it was getting bad on his body and looked like he was suffering and not much u can do for a fish unfortunately and I didn't want It infecting the tank and other fish so I removed the he I'll fish and done half and half water changed and treated it with White spot drops and salt to kill renaming bacteria if he had left any?? All the other fish seem to be fine and all my Babies guppies I also have a african dwarf frog ? in the fish tank I've had him for 6 year's now and he's still going strong so I must be doing something right ! So shall I remove the he ordiement to prevent any other accidents happening ???

If the chance of a fis getting stuck can cause worry, or a death, then yes, I would remove it.

A friend gave me some fish and a little log decoration. Which had been in a shrimp tank. It seemed a reasonable size for my Cories and Kuhlis and baby Bristlenose Plecos, but a Cory got stuck because it panicked. But I removed it to be safe.

With addltional Guppy fry you may want to do an additional water change - add one. Guppy babbies need safe water to grow properly. Aquarium water will get to unsafe ammonia levels much more quickly. Unsafe water ammonia, nitrite and nitrate can cause damage and or death. Also can spur aggression and flashing/ scratching on things too.

So after a male is in the tank with receptive females. They can, store the sperm for 6 months (some say 8) :eek: and continue having babies.

Back
Top Bottom