Treating Camallanus worms with dog dewormer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wickedlady1979

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I am new to the site. HELLO :D

So my two tanks are new in the last 2 months. Fish and nets have gone back and fourth between the tanks. I believe I may have introduced Camallanus by feeding dried blood worms (is that possible?) or maybe the fish came already infected. No idea. I live in a super remote area of Northern Canada and the closest fish shop is a 7 hour drive from me. I noticed the tell tale hair like protrusion from one of my Mollies about a week ago and am having a really hard time trying to figure out a solution that wont take weeks to get to me through the mail where I live. I asked the fish store lady that is closest to me where I bought the fish and she says she has never heard of this parasite... :ermm:

So its a safe bet that she doesnt have the remedy. Out of desparation I put my fish in a bucket with some garlic for about 30 mins yesterday. This killed two of my Tetras. :banghead: I also bleached my bigger tank and took all of the gravel out, replaced the water and the fish. So right now the only thing I have access to is dog dewormer, specifically Lopatol 500 which contains 500mg of Nitroscanate per pill. This med does kill roundworms. Does anyone know if this will be an effective treatment, and if so, what would the dosage be? My tanks are small. 2.5 and 5 gallon Fluval Spec's. I feel like whatever I'm doing is going to kill all of the fish and cant seem to find any info on the net that I can understand. I am going to order some Levamisole from AngelFins but until that gets here should I just leave everything alone?

Thanks for any help!

You want levamisole HCI...
1 gram treats 20 g.
Treatment is dose 1gper 20g let run for 3 days water changes until 3 weeks later and then 1gram per 20 g again for 3 days [to kill any eggs that survived first treatment].
It is the only sure fire treatment and is easy to use.

You want levamisole HCI...
1 gram treats 20 g.
Treatment is dose 1gper 20g let run for 3 days water changes until 3 weeks later and then 1gram per 20 g again for 3 days [to kill any eggs that survived first treatment].
It is the only sure fire treatment and is easy to use.

So do I change 25% of the water each day for 3 days? Will my fish be ok until I can get the medicine? It may take a couple of weeks. Right now all of my fish (7 guppies, 2 mollies and 2 coreys) are in my 5g without gravel or decorations so its super overstocked. Should I keep it this way until I am able to treat them or will it be too stressful? I was about to bleach out my other tank but maybe I shoudn't.

I had mixed a small amount of the dog dewormer in with some flakes and put that in the tank a bit earlier. Now both mollies show signs of the worms sticking out where as earlier it was just one.

Back
Top Bottom